Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi all, newbee question here. I'm been thinking of getting some bees but have a problem. My wife doesn't want me putting a hive in our backyard (1/2 acre). Something about mixing our kids with bees would be dangerous. My father said I could put them at his house which is an hour away on 22 acres. My question is how often do should I visit the hive to see how things are? I was thinking every 2 or 3 weeks. My father kept bees for about 10yrs and about 15yrs ago they all died because of mites. So he does have some experience but did say they would be my responsibility (although he wants me to pick him up a hive too). Advice?

I would think 2-3 week visits would work. If your Dad is energized back into the business then he may be able to keep an eye on yours between your visits.
    He will just need to watch entrance activity and watch for swarming. If you start with packages, you might not have swarming the first year. Well enough time for him to decide if he really wants to do this.

You could even get by starting the packages at your house(feeding) and then before the main honey flow, move them to Dads.
    The bees are usually very gentle when starting out from packages. As long as you dont have neighbor kids walking through your lot, it should work.
    Todd Zeiner

Many commercial operations have hives they only see a few times a year. The main thing is to pick a mite control that works well for this. FGMO requires fogging every two weeks, so you may want something more continuous and labor free, like small cell, or one time treatments like Oxalic acid in the fall after brood rearing stops.

Then again, maybe visting your Dad every two weeks isn't the worst. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I had bees in town in my backyard all the time all my kids were growing up (five of them). The only one who got stung was the same one that got hurt on everything anyway. He only got stung once.

I have 40 hivs in the backyard now and two grandsons. They love the bees. One stepped on a bee barefoot when I was extracting once, but otherwise neither have been stung when they were playing outside.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

My best guess is also to have a look inside the Hives every two weeks. It really is a temptation for a beginner, like myself also, to crack open a hive (once every three days sometimes) often, but it really does interfer with the bees normal everyday operation.
    As for mites and SHB (Small Hive Beetle) you need to be on the lookout for them and treat the hive for both especially the mites.
    Good luck on your endevour in the world of Bees...

My kids were 5 and 8 when I ventured back into beekeeping last year. My wife took a little convincing, but she was ok with it. The kids know that bees can sting and they keep their distance although they are fascinated by them -- especially when I have a hive open. I may get my oldest kid a beesuit this summer so he can get "up close and personal" with the bees.

I tucked the hives out of the way to the side of the deck so they wouldn't knock over a hive while chasing a ball or playing tag or something like that. I did have to move the trampoline so they weren't jumping around right in front of the hives. They haven't been stung yet. I buy Italian queens from Shuman's which are the most docile bees I've ever kept. I'm sure other sources are available as well.

Spencer,
    I live in the city..Indianapolis..with neighbors houses about 10' on either sied of me with a single lot size back yard. I keep one of my hives here in my backyard. I don't fiddle with it more than once very few weeks at the most, weather permitting. If one is much more than 10'-15' from the hive one doesn't see too many bee's at all. No problems with the close neighbors either...they never see the bee's. I keep several hives on a friends 5 acre property, but relatively close to his house...he has pre-teenage kids. They were taught about bee's and they understand that they are not to be feared...nor tormented. Maybe over time you'll be able to get a hive in your yard. I really enjoy having one right out the back door.
    Barry
    Indianapolis
    Barry
    KC9TER

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

My youngest son started working bees with me when he was 3. He has been stung a number of times since then working the bees, but never just playing. He is going to be a big 6 in February.
    He has his own bee suit that we got him this past spring.
    I have over the years kept hives on the front and back porches without any problems.
    My hives have been kept anywhere from next to the house to 200 feet.
    There are currently 15 hves about 200 feet from the house, and 10 feet from the road coming in.

I would like to keep a hive in the backyard but besides the kids I think one of our neighbors would freak out. They have a swimming pool and I've read that bees love water and I think that it might be the closest water source in the summer, although there is a lake a 1/4 mile away. We are in a sub but our yard is fenced and I would be putting them at the property line in the backyard, plus we backup to woods so there aren't any house in back of us.

spencer
    I have three hives in my backyard and have had no problem with people being stung even though they come to watch while I work with the bees.so long as they are not stressed by too much activity around the hive they are quite calm. but 2-3 week intervals should be fine and give the bees time to do their thing. good luck!
    Stuart

spencer,
    What is the sense of having bees if you can't sit out by the hives and enjoy them? "Hatred is always born out of ignorance"! I'm sure the more your wife learns about your bees the more she will come to accept them as a non-threat. This is something new for you and your family, certainly there is going to be a learning curve!
    How does she treat the hornets and wasps that nest in your eves? On the same token if you were asking to place 25 hives on this same area you might find an encroachment on each others living area. I really hardly think you'd even notice the bees from one hive. Once you get going, offer to your children's teacher to go into their class and talk about honeybees! Show some equipment etc. Knowledge is a powerful tool!

I've have 3 hives now but have had up to 10 on our 1 acre lot without any problems. I think half the fun is being able to observe, experiment, relax with a cold beverage out by the hives...
    Triangle Bees

My wife started two hives last spring about 30 minutes away from our house on her grandmother's place. We really wanted to place a hive or two in our backyard (about 80 x 227), but since 4 of the 6 neighbors behind us have pools and we know they need a better water source, we're going to wait a while and figure some things out. Also thinking about installing a shed in the backyard, near the house, surrounded by a stockade fence and keep the bees there.

My neighbor has a pool, but I keep one of those kiddy plastic pools in my backyard. The plastic pool has a pyramid of sand and is filled with water (the sand allows the bees to suck water out of it, and not drown). Bees prefer closer water, and sucking out of sand anyway.

We live in sort of a semi-rural part of town on a 1/2 acre plot. Keep bout 6 hives. Never had neighbours with pools complaining about the bees.
    Have 5 children and they are fascinated by the bees. We all get stung some time and they don't fear the bees. I fenced off a big part of my garden where I keep my bees and grow my vegetables. I love the feeling you get with bees around and living close to nature.

We have always kept animals. Currently I also keep chicken (White Sussex and Rhode Island Reds) and some Muscovy ducks. Our pot belly pig is arriving soon.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I grew up in a suburban neighborhood--40 X 100 lots--and our nextdoor neighbors kept bees. I was a barefoot kid (still am)and stepped on and got stung by bees daily. Neither I nor my parents ever made an issue of it.

I keep a hive in my small back yard. I put a plastic chicken wire fence around it and my garden to prevent my now 2 year old son from getting too close and trampling on the plants. No stings yet!

Every 2 weeks or so is fine for health of bees, but not for honey production . Call me crazy, but it seems bees like human company...they like to be paid attention to. I walk around my hives twice a week minimum...not doing anything, just being around them. The bees seem to produce better, and my stress level is reduced.

BubbaBob

>Call me crazy, but it seems bees like human company...they like to be paid attention to. I walk around my hives twice a week minimum...not doing anything, just being around them.

Circling around and around like a shark... waiting.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

My wife was more than a little worried about the kids and the bees. We struck a deal and put the hives on the barn (large garage)roof. It's not a weird as it sounds. Part of the roof is nearly flat and there is a large skylight for access. The nearest swimming pool is ours. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Start them out at home and move them if you have to. It is a great lesson for kids. When you are long gone, they will remember the times watching you and start keeping bees on their own.

Get a local mentor. Go to bee meetings. Take a class. Take your kids

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast