Anybody using NWC in the high heat areas of the south? If so, how are they doing?

I have some NWC's. I am located in Bowling Green, KY - not the deep south, but summer averages are 85-95 with frequent high humidity. This was my first year to have a NWC's and they seemed to fare as well as the rest of my bees. What info are you specificly looking for?

Martin

I'm just wondering how they will fare in 95-105 Texas heat. My hives are shaded in the late afternoon and I use ventilation boxes on top, but it is still hot. Italians do well here, but as many have pointed out, they seem to be getting meaner, at least from our local breeders. I'm just looking to try something different.

I'm up Nawth from ya'll, but it still gets a bit warm in the summer. Typical July will have three weeks of nearly solid 100+ days. Come to think of it I've seen 108 on labor day, and we will get frost before that month is over. It wasn't that bad last year, we probably didn't have more than twenty days over 100.

I started four nucs with NWC last year and requeened a couple of swarms at the same time. All did well, the worst only filled the deep and two mediums. The best filled the deep and four mediums. All the rest did something inbetween. I pulled no honey last fall, I intend to redistribute where needed in the late winter and boost splits and swarms this year.

Those NWC queens came from Drapers, (up Nawth, **** yanks), I requeened all the rest of my hives with NWC's I got from Kona in HI. because everyone else was out last September.

I do have one complaint, my queens don't have the red stripes like in the picture on the web page, mine are totally black with a big red dot on the thorax

A full year will not be up until May, but so far I don't have much to complain about.

I am going the no chem route, so they are going to have to work out.