Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Folk lore

It's funny how some people are happy to believe that bees care who 'owns' them, or that they can even hear us, and believe in 'luck', but don't believe in dowsing...

Actually I think folklore often reveals otherwise hidden truths - and equally often it is pure fantasy!
    The Barefoot Beekeeper http://www.biobees.com

Buckbee,
    In an science article, Scientist T. Williamson points out that honeybees can navigate using the earth's magnetic field. The physiological feature which enables them to do this is a tissue in the honeybee with a substance called magnetite in it. These little bees are 'navigating by dowsing', detecting the Ley Lines that are used by dowsers.

Not that I believe in such things [img]smile.gif[/img]

buckbee, if you are referring to me, I have an open mind on dowsing, and am rather anxious to try it when my place dries up, maybe this weekend. I am trying to think of a fair trial so results are not skewed.

To be honest, I am only convinced in one thing - my faith in God - the rest is sort of just possible. But my faith also allows me to believe that possibly dowsing maybe something God allows - there is the verse where he told a servant to strike a rock and water came out. Im certainly over my head when talking about religion, as I can only speak for myself.

As for plants having primitive nervous system, let me disagree - heavy pruning can trigger a dwarf like growth habit. The plants may respondto a drop or change in turgor pressure (did I spell that right?) but to raise these responses to the level of a nervous system may be overplaying that concept. as for having souls, that is above my pay grade, but I found no reference in the Bible, which is where I would normally look for things like that.

Not to put to much weight on folk lore but if one looks hard enough you can find some grain of truth to some of it. Remember our ancestors were just as, if not more so, as observant as we are and also desired to have some way of explaining it or passing on hard won knowledge. For instance the caution against anger and hatred stands to reason if one considers that anger and frustration in the beeyard often leads to poor judgement when manipulating a colony and poor judgement may lead to rash actions that can upset a colony into aggression. This should be applied in all areas. I have found I am more likely to get hurt or make a mistake when angry. It is much better to step back and cool off before continuing with a frustrating project.
    The bartering of hives could merely be a reflection of human nature. How many times has a deal that involved sums of money turned sour as compared to a barter where both parties traded for something they really needed or wanted.
    It is also possible that the death announcement was a way to ensure the continued care of the colonies by getting family members out in the bee yard.
    Who really knows. I just like to keep an open mind knowing that the ancients were not lacking in intellect just lacking in applied science that we have available today. Could we honestly say that if we were living under the same constraints that we wouldn't come up with similar lore?
    Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
    www.atlantawildliferemoval.net

> It is also possible that the death announcement was a way to ensure the continued care of the colonies by getting family members out in the bee yard.

I agree warrior,
    Yes, I believe the death announcement is meant to help settle the grieve get help to tending the bees and get on with your life.

> Could we honestly say that if we were living under the same constraints that we wouldn't come up with similar lore?

There is very recent folklore here in western Pa that states “a nice cold Rolling Rock beer is good for reducing sting pain and swelling on the hand and lip“. If you think about it, there is some truth to this lore, so I always keep a few of these cold compresses on my cooler when beekeeping.

In your back yard, I hope. We don't need anymore cases of drunk drivers on our roads.
    I know a beekeeper who got a DUI ticket for having "Switchle" in his cooler on his truck seat. He was involved in an accident in which someone else came across the line and ran into him. She was drunk for sure but they were both charged with DUI. I'm sure that she had other charges too. Keep your beer at home. Got one for me?
    Mark
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

>they were both charged with DUI.

I hope he beat the rap... switchle ain't alcoholic.

George-
    Dulcius ex asperis