Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Look at this picture from 1863, beekeeping always was and still is an addiction. I often sit like this guy and watch my bees, even after more than 30 years of keeping the little girls.

http://members.tripod.com/volobuef/p...enenfreund.jpg

Axtmann:
    Interesting picture it is also used on the book “ At the Hive Entrance” by an author
    H. Storch, who happens to be a German beekeeper. An excellent book which I recommend it is put together by season. When I am wondering what’s going on inside by what is going on outside I will pull this book out and will get a very good explanation. Storch spent a lifetime recording detailed observations.

Thebeesknees, I am glad to read that you are feeling better, I can relate to your depression. Eleven years ago my wife died suddenly at a young age, the first year was very dark for me. One thing that I found that helped, was to keep occupied with something. And sooner or later the dark will get light. Today I am happily married again my wife is also a widow, and I have come to realize that sometimes God takes someone out of your life to make room for someone else. Keep moving forward and don’t give up and this period of time in your life will just be a bump in the road.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Interesting about Joseph's wife. My best friend's wife is in the same condition from the same ailment and while bee venom therapy isn't a cure, it's the only think that helps with her pain. I put a hive in his backyard two years ago for that purpose.

I do it for a love of things agricultural, the honey, the good workout, extra money, fun selling at the farmer's market, gifts to friends and family and to teach my kids certain skills. They have to bottle the honey, and help at the market. They learn basic business skills like quality control, getting along with people, counting change etc.. and it gives them confidence. Today I'm off to a town twenty minutes from here to help an elderly lady who got a swarm in her washroom yesterday evening. The fire department referred me, and it's a fun change from building retaining walls and digging irrigation ditches, which is what I normally do.

PS, thanks for that timeless picture, Axtmann.

I think it might be called a way of life. Or(to use a phrase I really hate to use,ON NO I CAN"T BELIEVE I"M GOING TO SAY IT!!!!!) a life style.
    Im really not that serious

I definitely think that there are people who gravitate towards bees like bees go to blooms. Thanks for the picture, and I will definitely read "at the hive entrance".

Axtmann, how did you ever find that gorgeous picture? What's the title and who's the artist? I want to see if I can get a print or poster. It's just beautiful!

Hi Matt---The first thing I do when I come home from work EVERY day is go to my back yard where I keep seven hives. ( after being greeted by my dog)I visit each hive respectively, talk to the "girls" and make mental notes of what I think each hive should have if anything. Last winter I cured my cabin fever, bee withdrawal symptoms by keeping two hives in one room at the end of my workshop. I installed plexiglas covers on them with holes in the plexi and flexible hose running up from the covers to holes in a plywood cover over the window. On nice days I cranked open the window and the bees came and went as they pleased. I had the room temperature controlled and a red light for lighting so that they would not be attracted to it. (bees cannot see red )
    I could take the outer cover off and look through the plexiglas inner cover.
    I had lots of equipment to clean, treat and paint to kill some time but the other thing I do in winter is line up places to give lectures about bess and/or honey production. Most groups slip me an envelope of money and I take jars of honey to sell.
    I also buy mistinted paint at the local hardware store to paint the hives with and my grand-daughter tells her friends that she knows Grampaw's hives when she sees them because they look like a rainbow. Every hive in my beeyards are a different color from the ones next to them. I call my business " Sterling's Little Stingers" but if I ever re-name it I will call it " Rainbow Apiary"
    I am sure you will do something pertaining to bees this winter. Best of luck.
    sterlingc

Axtmann. Thanks for this picture. Beautiful and impressive. I have the same questions as Tia. Is this somewere in internet or it is copied from this book of H.Storch. In the book should be something about this picture, I think.

kind of like going to church only I get to attend 7 days a week and there are definitely consequenses for not paying attention to this weeks sermon.

a puff of smoke and out of the confusion and chaos of the world, order and meaning evolve.

The artist of that picture from 1863 is the German painter Hans Thoma (1839 – 1924).
    The name of the picture is “Der Bienenfreund” or “The bee Lover”.

http://members.tripod.com/volobuef/p...enenfreund.jpg

http://www.diebiene.de/sro.php?redid=9081

I just saved the photo as a jpeg imported into photoshop and then looked at it full screen. Cool stuff. Of course I then set it as my desktop wallpaper. And this is my work puter. Can't wait to get home.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

Axtmann. Thank you very much for information and link.

Yes, Axtmann, thanks. I, too, have saved it as a jpg and have printed it out, but want to see if I can find a professional print--it's so beautiful.

Now, can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of "At the Hive Entrance" by H. Storch? It's out of print!

Tia:
    You can get a copy of " AT the Hive Entrance"
    form www. Betterbee.com
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Brent! Thank you so much! Why didn't I think of that? Here I am checking Amazon, Alibris, Barnes & Noble. Duhhhh.

When I stand in one of my beeyards on a warm sunny day and look down the corrador of hives, 25 on either side, I can still feel the awe and humility. I can still feel the way i did when i saw my first observation hive when i was in grade 1 so long ago. Its a feeling i can't explain other than a childs dreams and passions become real and more than you expected. I've loved bees for most my life, to think of doing anything else or not having them in my life is something i'd rather not dwell on.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC