Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Built our first screened bottom boards over the last week, followed the plans using 2 x4's and #8 hardware cloth--no one told me that the wire is not manufactured square! Guess assumptions are not always correct. We are definately not carpenters but "Hey", all twelve bottoms look great! Tomorrow is to be seventy degrees "Yay" with sunshine so should get the bottoms on the hives.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

Nice lookin bottom
    We had sexual harassment training yesterday....

WOW, Ross, you mean they had to train you how to harrass the ladies. I learned that at an early age.

PN, congrats... At 9 bucks each fully assembled and painted, I'll keep buying. Glad they came out well for you.

Ratz! I thought you saw Dee.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Humph,
    I opened this thread thinking that someone was talking about me before I realized that it was a bunch of guys talking...

Waya
    WayaCoyote

Hey Power Napper, you said you made the "nice lookin bottoms" from plans. Are those plans available somewhere. I could use some "nice lookin bottoms"
    Married 23 years and still makin honey. www.Johnshoney.com
    John, WA9WJG

John
    They are on this site. Go to Beesource homepage you will see build it link on the left. I made up five of them myself. I like the plans.

Here's my plan to get a real nice looking bottom.
    http://web.utk.edu/~wu4you/My%204%20...eeping/SSB.htm

oh, ughm...I mean,... nevermind.

John Cunningham--The plans we used are the ones that MichaelW refers to. The bottoms are easy to build and the Anderson County Beekeepers Association Equipment is at the top of the page. Who ever designed it did a good job! I am not a carpenter just a wood butcher and all worked out real good especially since I got a new craftsman table saw out of the project. Told her that the saw was for the honey do projects and it worked.

But now you have no excuse to not do the honey do projects!! So long to the bees!

Whoa there Bill Ruble--worked all day building a dozen new telescoping lids for the hives, they look real good also. The next project is the ventilation and inner covers but gotta get more wood for that project. This bee forum sure is a good thing in my life! All the honey do chores will have to wait until next winter--too busy now. [img]smile.gif[/img]

We had sexual harassment training yesterday....
    You learn something every day. Thanks. I thought harass was two words
    Best,
    Tom

> We had sexual harassment training yesterday....

It's amazing the things they want to teach how to do at work. Did you get a good idea how to do it?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Power Napper, thanks I designed it.

I haven't actually built one exact to the plan yet. Yours is probably the first! Did you have any trouble making the screen flat? How about a picture?

I've made other 2X4 bottom boards, this design was an improvement on those.

here is the Anderson County Beekeepers website.

http://acbeekeepers.org/

>>>but gotta get more wood for that project.

Any you might need a compressor and crown stapler for something..... you know... another one of those honey do projects... [img]smile.gif[/img] Don't give up now... keep getting the tools while you can... eventually they catch on...
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

MichaelW-screen flat? What we did is buy a piece of #8 hardware cloth at the local hardware, the cloth was thirty inches wide so we split it into two fifteen inch pieces.
    The H cloth has a natural bend to it due to the being in a roll shape--curved not flat-you will find it is easier to work with if you lay the hardware cloth on it belly with the ends sticking up. If my memory serves me right we bent the two sides down one inch over a metal table side--a poor mans metal break--that left a thirteen inch flat portion of screen for the floor.
    Then we sort of straigtend the bends out on the end that we wished to have bent down an inch in the back---this is kind of important, the cloth is not square--we laid the cloth on the bottom and marked where the back bend would be with an inch bent down--it helps to do it this way because if you just bend it down assuming the cloth is square it is catywompus.After bending the back youi gotta cut a small square out of the corner so it fits properly. Now you bend down the sides again where you straightened it out for bending the back.
    As the plan shows the cloth lays on top of the two by four landing board at least two inches.
    We placed the screen in the frame using a three eigths piece of plywood on the top side for a spacer to keep the screen in the right place while we stapled it.
    Went to Home depot and bought three eigths "stainless staples" for my T50 hand stapler and stapled about five or six staples into each side while the frame was upside down on top of the three eigths spacer, the screen looks professional all the way--then we ran a small bead of silicone calking around the top edge of the screen where the sides and back join the two by fours.
    All the two by four frames were undercoated with sherwin williams the sherwin williams best latex for a finish.---thiry five bucks a gallon.
    Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the great plans!

Forgot to mention we painted before putting the hardware cloth on!

Cool! thanks. I might add the part about using 3/8" plywood to keep the screen flat and maintain bee space, if you don't mind. Thats good ingenuity.

I got busy this spring and bought bottom boards pre-made, but I should need to build a few this summer.

Maybe I should change the name to Nice Looking Bottom.....?

Dan Williamson--Already got the compressor and the air gun--needed the air nailer to build frames. Got a six inch dadoo blade for making the bottom boards! Things are shapin up!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast