Thread: reversing?

hi guys;
    Was wondering when to reverse my hive bodys here in pa. ,so I called my local elderly beekeeper for some advice. when I asked if I should reverse his comment was " You Havent seen any upsidedown trees lately have you?" So with this in mind I thought I would go to my two hives and take a look .
    hive # 1
    top brood box 50 lb honey virtually untouched . bottom brood box 2/3 full honey some pollen and about a three inch diameter circle of brood on two frames. Queen in bottom with brood
    both boxes have a total about ten full frames of bees
    hive # 2
    top hive box, about 20 lbs honey
    bottom box about 10 lbs honey with a 2" diameter circle of brood on two frames
    total of about ten full frames of bees in this hive too.couldnt find Queen.
    question # 1
    Am I honey bound in hive #1 if so what should i do ?
    Question #2
    does hive #1 need reversing?
    Question #3
    does hive # 2 need reversing ?
    THANKS SCOTT

Big Grin

It sounds as if hive 1 is honeybound. I would put in empty comb at least 4 or new foundation. If you are sure of no disease I would put the honey combs from hive 1 into the top box of hive 2. It sounds as if you do not need to reverse at this time but you should clean the bottom boards of each hive to start the new year.
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

I agree with Clintons advice. Reversing is one of those things people spout off as rote, but if the queen is in the bottom and the top is full of honey, then she is already where you want her. If the boxes are all full of honey, though, where will she lay?

Thanks guys for the reply that helps me out.
    would you feed sugar syrup to promote egg laying? after switching some honey for empty comb? Its 60 deg. here now with some 30's and 40's coming next week.

scott

Hi Scott,

Was wondering when to reverse my hive bodys here in pa. ,so I called my local elderly beekeeper for some advice. when I asked if I should reverse his comment was " You Havent seen any upsidedown trees lately have you?"

reply:

We just were discussing on norland bee list on spring inspections, blooms, and reversing. My friend Joe also a PA beekeeper said he reverses before dandelions so about end of the first week of april to second week. You must use your judgement. Best to err later than to reverse to early. You should make sure pollen is coming in freely at any rate as this is important.

question # 1
    Am I honey bound in hive #1 if so what should i do ?

reply:

I believe we are about two weeks behind this year in normal brood rearing. So for now leave them alone and let them eat up some of those stores. Later in the month you can try this trick to unbind the colony. Pull three capped honey combs from the bound colony and uncap with a hot knife. Place these combs over the cluster to draw them up. This should help stimulate and create expansion room. Also swap some honey fron hive 1 for empties in hive two a little later on.

Question #2
    does hive #1 need reversing?

reply:

No not at this time. It may not need reversing if you develpoe the colony upwards from where its at.

Question #3
    does hive # 2 need reversing ?

reply:

If the colony has reach the top of broodnest and well expanded in april you can do it then. Some colonies will expand down if this happens then no. When reversing the beekeeper must make judgement calls has the colony expanded down? Is the colony down aldeady and just needs to be worked up by opening up? Or does the colony need to be placed down then worked back up (the later is reversing)? You must work with each situation accordingly. With that said I reverse only once and not every 10 days as some say to do. On rare occations a second reversal is helpful but should always be balanced with good judgement. Reversing for the sake of reversing can be detrimental.

Clay

Hi Scott,

would you feed sugar syrup to promote egg laying?

reply:

I wouldn't. As Micheal said where she gonna lay? Your going to have to deal with those bound combs at some point. You got good feed in those combs. I'd uncap as I said and use the warmed honey from the uncapping process to be used up and creating more brooding space but thats just me.

Clay

I agree with Clay. The queen is in need of a place to lay, not incentive to lay. Give her some room and she will. Try to leave pollen. But by now there's probably plenty of pollen and some nectar anyway.

First I want to say THANK YOU for all your input! This forum is the next best thing to toast.
    Opened my third and last hive today and found this hive nearly empty on the bottom and only about ten lbs honey in top hive body ,about 8 full frames of bees ,queen with about a 2 inch circle of brood in top body.
    Hope I havent made a mistake but I did reverse this one.and I am thinking about about trading some frames of honey from hive # 1 into this hive and taking their empty combs back into #1 to give some room for the queen to lay. any thoughts?
    I have to say im pretty proud for this is my first overwinter and they all seem to have done pretty well.Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and giving me more food for thought!
    Scott

Sound like a good plan.