Question

How much of a problem do yall have with the SHB ? and what do yall use to keep the numbers down from your hive or hive's , I have read of some using screened pan with mineral oil on the bottom board ? is this effective ? what else do you use?

dont look right , the mineral oil is in the pan lol and the pan is on the bottom board.

well you've come to the right place...there are quite a few georgia beekeepers on here. Visit the chat room too, there are usually a few of us there.

Anyways

to me it seems to be that the best defense against the SHB is keep the hives strong at all times...I seem to always have a few running around, but not enough to really jeopardize the hive. I've heard that the screen with the oil works to a degree. If my SHB get back, I'm going to try and develop an in-hive trap similar looking to a queen cage...

I've heard not to use external traps, for similar reasons to japanese beetle traps. You don't really want to attract them in the first place.

Same here. My plastic inserts were full (100's) of SHB larva about 2 weeks after installing packages. After disposing of them, the bees seem to take care of it themselves. I'm sure larva falling through the screened bottom board relieved some of the SHB pressure. I occasionally see a larva on a mite sticky sheet or see an adult scampering around in a hive -- but no other signs of infestation. However, if the hives were to become weak, I think the SHB would take over quickly.

The only trap I have tried is the plastic 2 liter pop bottle with the top removed and placed in the bottle like a funnel. I baited it with some drone brood. I caught a lot of bugs but no SHB. I don't know if they weren't attracted to it or if they can fly back through the funnel. I may try it again putting it in a different place -- higher up and further away from the hives.