Thread: Feeding

Smile

I just placed a pollen substitute patty in my hive to stimulate and boost brood rearing to gear up for the nectar season. Stores in the hive are very good. My question is do I also need to provide syrup with the pollen patty?

Rick

Hi Rick,

No you don't need syrup. Are the bees bringing in pollen and nectar yet in NC ? If not watch your stores. If they get low use syrup. If lots of stores still let the bees consume some to make room for brood rearing so you aren't honey bound.

Clay

Smile

Thanks for the reply and advice Clayton. The bees are bringing in some pollen now, but no nectar. I'll keep a close eye on their stores for a while. We have had an unusually mild winter overall, and I suppose that's why stores are still so good. This is my first overwintering of a hive. Thanks again.

Rick

Thank you for posting this question. This is my first year also. My hives are full of bees and honey and have put feeders on my hives. It sounds like I should take them off as there is more that enough honey in the hives.

Hi Rick and David,

I should say this. If you are planning splitting the hives you should feed honey or syrup. This isn't alway necessary however. Depends on race of bee and sometimes individual colonies. Like in all farming use your best judgement.

Clay