Lightbulb

Continuing on Jason's question (but didn't want it to get lost...sorry), I lost two colonies in NH due to the cold. Plenty of food just inches away, but didn't move the cluster. My question was partly answered in the other post, but need more. I have two packages ariving very soon. Think I remember reading that if I put a full deep of capped food (much of which is "crunchy style" sugar syrup fed last fall, but I'll provide clean water source)BELOW the brood nest that has the new package, they will get off to a fast start, and will be inclined sooner to start putting honey in supers above them since they won't need to store as much in the brood nest? If that's true, should I still feed light syrup for a while to encourage laying? Excluder over the food super? The food frames have seen medication, but I'm going to FGMO this year, so all the new ones will be clean.

>Think I remember reading that if I put a full deep of capped food (much of which is "crunchy style" sugar syrup fed last fall, but I'll provide clean water source)BELOW the brood nest that has the new package, they will get off to a fast start, and will be inclined sooner to start putting honey in supers above them since they won't need to store as much in the brood nest?

They will move it where they want it no matter where you put it. And some of that will be in the brood nest for convenience of feeding the brood. You may as well put four frames of it IN the brood nest (two on each side) on the outsides. And maybe one in the middle if you don't have any drawn comb. They will empty the comb in the middle so the queen can lay in it and they will be off to a good start. If you have more that you want to give them you can put it in another brood chamber on top later. I prefer not to give them too much room at first until they get going. Four weeks from now they may need more room but in the meantime they have more room to heat to keep the brood warm.

My guess is no matter what you do the bees will do something you didn't expect with it.

>If that's true, should I still feed light syrup for a while to encourage laying?

It's spring. She will want to lay. You don't need to stimulate brood rearing this late. There is pollen and there is nectar available in some quantities everywhere now. In March it's useful to stimulate brood. It's also useful to stimulate comb drawing anytime, but you have all that comb with syrup in it. I would probably feed some and see how it goes. Sometimes feeding sets off robbing and things only get worse instead of better.

>Excluder over the food super? The food frames have seen medication, but I'm going to FGMO this year, so all the new ones will be clean.

Personally I don't use an excluder at all. It won't stop them from moving the syrup up into the supers if they want to. It's only an imaginary line. But if you want to use one, put it on top of the brood area.

Thanks Michael. I just read an idea of yours in the frame-capture topic. In the past when I tried to feed them with an extra super on top, they weren't keen to move it. In fact they sometimes added to it even with an inside cover between. Might it work better if I use your trick of setting the food super on top UPSIDE DOWN? I'm thinking that might be a good way to get them to clean out comb that has crystalized stuff so I can re-use the comb. I have a lot of stores to use up, and I doubt it will last all summer in good condition, being that much of it was sugar syrup. I'd start all this later after they are going strong of course.

Well if you put it on top of the inner cover upside down and you don't feed them, I think they should clean it out pretty quickly. They won't like the upside down comb for storing something in.

You can also uncap small areas maybe. It may run out, but you say it's crystalized, so maybe it will stay. They will clean it out faster if it's uncapped as long as that doesn't run syrup everywhere.