I know that size and health of the hive are big variables in this "equation", but given an average hive, in good health with day temps around 70 and nights dipping into the mid 50s, how long would it take a hive to build up 10 frames (from foundation)? Also, to even the field, say that they are being feed 1:1 sugar to compensate for nectar flow issues.

I am trying to figure if I can put on a "deep" super now, or wait till spring.
    Regards from Western NC!

It will most likely take until April 10, whether you put it on now or march 10.

Thanks Iddee!

Guess that answers my next question which would have been...When do they start winding down and getting ready to cluster. They still seems real busy gathering pollen, I wondered if I could get them to work up some wax too!

Oh well, gives me more time to wip up some more woodware.

Iddee, did the storm affect your bees much? We had a bunch or rain, but it only lasted 2 days. Man, I feel bad for all the folks who couldn't get out down south. My sister lives in Meridian MS. Have not been able to reach her yet.
    Regards from Western NC!

Bill, go to
    http://www.satern.org/
    and fill out the form under"Health and welfare request"

As for the storm, it missed us completly. A nice 10 MPH breeze, not a drop of rain.
    The bees are bringing in much pollen and a little necter, but not enough to draw 1 full frame of comb in this area. The winter shutdown has begun. Some of my hives are kicking out the drones. That's the first sign I look for.

They never seem to build a lot of comb in cooler weather. Not like they do in hot weather. Put on what you want, if they aren't as stuggling small cluster, and see what they do.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF