Notaclue asked me about using a boardman feeder with the robber screen. To me this would be a great idea. I am prejudice against boardman style feeders because of the robbing that goes on because of them. I couldn't find one in my junk pile, but if memory serves me right, they are designed to slip in a 3/8" opening. If this is correct, all that would need to be done would be to make a 3/8" opening the width of the feeder block in the bottom of the wood bar on the robber screen and making sure the bottom board fully supports the block as well. Otherwise there would be an opening between the feeder block and the landing board.
    Here is what the robber screen looks like.
    http://nordykebeefarm.com/forum/foru...asp?FID=6&PN=1
    Has anyone tried this? When I find one of mine, I will modify the robber screen and see if it works.
    Thanks to David for thinking outside the box.
    Jon, N6VC/5

Even without the robbing issue, feeders so
    small are more than useless, in that they
    simply don't hold enough feed to make any
    significant difference, and must be refilled
    "before you notice".

Boardman feeders exist merely because they
    are cheap to make and buy. They simply have
    no apparent use in modern beekeeping.

You're right, about the quart jar. There was a queen breeder in Sheridan that used larger containers on his.
    Jon, N6VC/5

Another drawback to a broadman feeder is, the bees can’t get to it if the weather is cold. Unlike a division feeder or top feeder or pail with a empty super over it. And it’s harder for the bees to defend it against other bees or wasps and hornets and ants.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Hi Brent,
    No argument about the access, however, in this area that isn't normally a problem. When stimulation takes place here, there are normally enough warm days to get the syrup.

I will take issue with you on the point of defending. That is the whole point to the robber screen/boardman feeder combination.

As far as the ants go, I haven't really had a problem with them no matter what feeder I use. Maybe it's the stands I use... I don't know.

I'll admit to being total prejudice against the boardman feeder. I have consistantly recommended against it whenever the subject has come up. However, this combination appears to have enough merit to warrant a test.
    Jon, N6VC/5

Your correct about the robber screen, this would make the boardman feeder very defensible, but like you I don’t think it has enough pro’s to outweigh the con’s. the only thing I use the few that I have is, giving water to a hive.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

I don't know if the cons outweigh the pros or not. As I said, there is enough merit in the concept to warrant a try anyway. I think a one gallon container would be the minimum size.
    Since I can't find one in my junkbox, I think I will make one just to try out. One thing about them, they are easy to make.
    Jon, N6VC/5