Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bee Trailer

I'm with Bruce...if you were going very far moving a lot of trailers would be too time consuming. I'm fortunate in that my hives don't go farther than 20 miles south of me for low elevation early flow to 15 miles north of me for higher elevation sourwood flow.

I have an acquaintance that has 550 hives that he moves 8-10 times a year from South Georgia to North Carolina, and he uses a flatbed truck with a lift gate. His hives are palletized, 2 to a pallet, and he moves them off the truck with a heavy duty hand truck.

BubbaBob

I'm no where near needing a dedicated trailer, but one feature I would like to have handy right now is a swing-boom. Could be used for loading, unloading individual hives or even lifting stacks of supers off at a time to access the brood, or for weighing a hive with a set of scales.

WayaCoyote
    WayaCoyote

I think Harbor Freight has one for a pickup; shouldn't be hard to adapt to a trailer. lotsa stuff like that they run half price pretty often. they have a power lift gate for a pickup right now i think that fits a cat 3 hitch reciever on a truck; reg $400 for 200 iirc (or maybe reg 200 for 100)? half price anyway. Buddy of mine has one; pretty slick rig.

Lew

wayacoyote, I got the plans for a simple lifting device from the Ag Extension Office, which was developed by the University of Calif Dept of Ag Eng. It is plan no. c-21-1, bee hive loader for pick up. It uses a block & tackle to lift the hives. It moves in and out on a barn door track and a trolley, and turns by one pipe inside another. You could adapt it to a trailer very easily and when not in use, just lift out the top. I used a strap around the hives and a hook instead of the looding tongs they show. The thing worked good for two years until I got a new truck and an elect. boom. So it's in the scrap pile now. Don't ask me to send you a picture. I'm roadkill on the information highway. Jim

Sounds like an interesting plan to see; anyone got a copy you could scan or tell us how to get one?

Lew

Perhaps you have seen my trailor, if not see my web site. I wanted a few key items built into it such as a removable toung, battery, tool, and storage box, six positions for the movable boom, storage for the boom that also lets it be used from the stowed position for winching heavy objects onto the trailor, electric winch on the boom, tie downs, open sides for bees to fly though, and a low drop ramp tailgate.

Even though it was designed for moving bees, it is really a multi-function trailor.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Jim....... Are these plans online?

I am in the garage door biz and have been milling over the idea of making a lift/trolley from the many used commercial door openers.

Sundance, I sent you a PM
    Jim

I have an old Kelley Beehive Loader now mounted on a 20ft 12,000lb capacity trailer. I don't have an updated picture but this is it prior to being mounted on the trailer. It's 16 ft long and is working very well. It lifts hives under the handhold.
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dwozment/my_photos

Doc... I wish I would have known you 2 years ago when I lived in Conway and was first starting out with bees! Looks like you have a killer setup!
    Central IL... where there are more hogs than people and more soybeans than hogs and people put together.

I'm moving to Quincy, IL in May. I bought the loader while in Iraq serving in the Army as a field surgeon. You know, tax-free combat zone money burning a hole in my pocket. I found it on ebay while surfing the net from Iraq and paid something like $440 for it. I've got another $2500 or so in it to get it mounted over the trailer axles and making it fully operational. Much less than a (very) used Bobcat. It was made in the early 1960s and has been loads of fun restoring.

This is the one that was on ebay wasn't it?? I can remember wishing I was closer to that rascal.

Nice set up!

Dang Doc you gonna be almost within spitting distance of me then . I live about 40 mile north of Dadant's home place . Good to see another beekeeper getting back around the area .

Drifter
    Some can learn by others mistakes , others have to whizz on the electric fence for themslves .

Ive got three bee trailers for sale....similar to the one in pic except just one story. Haul 16 i hives. 16 feet long I have converted to palletized hives and no longer use/need the trailers. You cna drive 60 mph with no weaving. 500.00 each or take all three for 1200.00. central ky. Rick

It's getting close to building time. Anymore ideas/suggestions on trailers? I'm thinking of building a trailer for twenty hives, and leaving them on the trailer all the time.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

>I'm thinking of building a trailer for twenty hives, and leaving them on the trailer all the time.

I always thought that would be rather ideal. No loading and unloading, just mobility to follow the nectar. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF