Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This morning I was pulling trays to see what kind of Varroa count I was getting ( I’m treating with formic acid) and noticed that a small variety of ant was hauling away the varroa that was dropping into the tray. So I started to look for this behavior in the other hives I was checking and noticed the same thing. I guess the ants can’t pass up a easy meal, I will just mark it down as part of my integrated pest management. And hope they don’t look up for food when the varroa run out.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Yes, I haven't considered ants as bad beehive pests either, at least not in these northern climates. There is probably a mutually beneficial relationship between ants and bees which may include carting off mites. The mites are probably like hard shelled crabs to the ants - mighty tasty.

Also the burn from an ant bite comes from formic acid. When you drop a hankerchief onto an ant hill and leave it there for a couple minutes you can smell the formic acid on it after you shake off the ants of course. So, maybe they also like the scent of their own perfume/venom after a formic acid treatment.
    5-8 hives

They love hive beatle and wax moth larva also.
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

Look, don't fool yourselves. Those ants would kill and eat your entire hive if the bees didn't stop them. Have you seen them eating dead bees? This is not a symbiotic relationship.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

Really? I never knew that ants would eat bees...I'll have to sit out and watch sometime. Is this a common thing?
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by...

If they will eat wax moth larva, they will eat bee larva.

Ants and bees are not buddies in my observation.

Amanda, there are all kinds of ants and all kinds of bees. So it's not an absolute where I can point to an ant and say he will eat that bee. but we're on the bee's side so YES, Ants eat Bees. Unfortunately someone's going to come on here and say wisely that carpenter ants only eat wood or some such drivel and I won't get back in time to answer so just trust me.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

Hawk, all they need to do is make an inner lid without a hole in it and they will see how fast an ant queen will build above it and wipe out a hive. I met a man 2 years ago with five hives covered with ants when you opened them. He said they were his worst problem, even worse then mites. He said he lost a hive or two to them every year.I convinced him to cut center holes in his inner lids and this year he has so few ants that he doesn't even regard them as a problem, and has NO nests above the inner lids now.

i had a wonderfully strong hive succumb to ant pressure this year-after a long mutual battle the hive absconded. ants in the sacramento valley
    can be devastating! its definately not like that everywere, here at my knew place theres ants but not like were i came from.
    all that is gold does not glitter

So iddee, YOU invented the inner cover...

Hawk
    KC0YXI

Why does the hole in the cover make such a difference? Are the bees made aware of the ants by that hole being there?
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by...

It's the only way the bees can get above the inner cover. If you just use a piece of plywood they can't get to the ants.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

NO, I invented the innerne[S]t. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I often find those little ants living between a cover or inner cover or a rock and the inner cover or the outer cover and the top bars on a TBH or the space on the end bars where the bees can't get on a DE hive. They have never been a problem. The bees don't seem to care. I'm sure the kind of ant and where you live etc. makes a difference, but unless I see them having trouble I don't worry about the ants.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I put the hole in my inner covers for ventilation, the fact that the bees can protect the hive in the attic is just a bonus. I didn’t mean to imply that honeybees and ants have a symbiotic relationship, I usually treat with Guard Star if they seem to be molesting the bees to much. The bonus with Guard Star is you can treat for SHB and it also works well for ants.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Ants eat everything they can find. They eat varroa instead of honey, like the dogs eat bone when can´t eat meat. Ants are dangerous and stress for bees, and are waiting for the moment to invade the hive.

merops_apiaster

Where is Cadiz?

Google tells me there is a Cadiz in southern Spain.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/b...5112931451.jpg
    Right! Thanks Sundance. Cádiz is in southern Europe and in Northern Africa, between Mediterranean sea and Atlantic Ocean. I live exactly near of the cape of Trafalgar, that you can enjoy in the photo.

Been to the Strait of Gibralter and Barcelona I loved it, some day I would like to visit again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast