I read a post that one of the members feeds extracted honey back into the hive to get Rounds finished up.

Any comments on success for this?

Will it have the consequence of stimulating brood rearing this time of year?

I recently saw an article, (one of the bee magazines)Where a dude was putting cappings in boardman feeders and making comb honey. It looked like a big operation with lots of cappings. I think it would depend on temperature and the problems you could start with robbing. How would you feed it?

Dickm

I would dump the cappings in a five gallon bucket and put them 30 yards from the hives and let them clean them. But that's me.

I usually don't use sugar syrup and do feed honey. You have the same robbing problems you have with syrup. You feed it the same as you do syrup except there's no mixing. I've fed honey in Rapid Feeders (www.beeworks.com) Miller feeders, boardman jars over inner covers anything but a boardman feeder on the front of the hive.

Pardon me Mike, but is that a good idea? Seems like if you wanted to start a robbing frenzy, that would be the way to do it. Don't you think that this may be something you could get away with in the middle of a honey flow but would mean trouble in a dearth? I much prefer to have the food inside the hive. A quick feeder might be to put an empty super on top of the hive and a shallow pan inside it on the top bars. Put the honey in that and watch it close. Make provisions for air under the pan and some way to keep the bees from falling in.

Dickm

I think feeding in the fall always seems to set off a robbing frenzy. It's one of the reasons I dislike doing it at all. But I'm doing it this year because I've made so many splits and I need them topped off for winter stores. I haven't noticed that honey sets it off any more than syrup. They are both a problem. I've been Dasiying them when they do. I put vicks on the entrances that are being robbed, and, just so the bees don't start thinking that vicks it the smell of easy honey, I put it on a few places where there are no entrances close.

Hey Michael,

I think that dickm may have been referring to the practice of open feeding you described with the cappings (I may have misunderstood.) I think that the open feeding works nicely in the fall. Yes, any kind of feeding seems to precipitate robbing behavior this time of year, but open feeding doesn't lure the bees to any one hive. as long as your colonies are well prepared they should be able to discourage any attempts at robbing. If the colony falls prey to robbing in an open feeding scenario, then it would have only been worse if the feed would have been in the hive.

------------------
    Rob Koss

That's just it. It's a no win situation. If you feed in the hives then the robbers find the feeder in the weak hive. If you feed in the open they still get the idea that there's something to find somewhere else and try to rob, but open feeding away from the hive doesn't seem any worse than feeding in the hive.

It's the time of year.

My experience<short, personal and tenative> is that they get turned on to the smell. Feed honey and they go looking for it. Feed syrup with honey bee healthy and they go looking for it. I try to keep a low profile. I feed syrup wih no additives in miller feeders that have the tops screened over. There are always foragers about the hive tops but few real problems. The one time I had a real problem was when I left a few frames of honey in the back of the truck. In about 1/2 hour tops, I had a cloud of bees in front of each(of 7) hives.

Dickm

Every little thing helps. I also would avoid the honey bee healthy in robbing season.

One way to feed honey for topping off comb honey, is to uncap and put it above the inner cover. I would do this on the strongest hive because it's the least likely to get robbed and the most likely to get the job done.

All in all, though, maybe this time of year you're better off to only feed if you really need to.