Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sue Karber Guest

Question

We are about to start and we don't know how to handle the extra comb and honey. I know fine time to think about it. Walt McBride and Daniel Vasicek gave perfect instructions on how to transfer worker comb, brood comb etc to the new hives in frames. I just never asked how to store the rest. Do I put it in the freezer to preserve? How is best to process it for the bees for later use? I will spend this winter learning but the book I ordered is not here yet and I am a novice.

The extra comb can be melted down and sold to bead shops or at pow-wows or even given away. The honey can be fed back to the bees if their is enough empty comb for them to store it in. Use some of the old comb and secure it to empty frames w/rubber-bands and let them fill it w/the old honey. Just an idea.
    GOOD LUCK

------------------
    'WHEN WE CLOSE OUR EYES WE ALL LOOK THE SAME' GWPW 03

Sue: I don't know how much honey laden comb you removed but if you can freese to kill wax moth egg and larva you can keep comb filled honey for a long time. Keep feeding the honey in the smashed comb as I explaned in my E mail from above. When the smashed comb gets striped in several days take it out and give them more. They will draw out the foundation in the new frames that you provided below and store the honey.
    Walt

Sue Karber Guest

Well, it was an eventless day, my two helpers were still discussing "how-to's" at 10 tonight. Real explanation "FEAR". We are to do it tomorrow at 1 after church. I moved a double stainless steel sink out under the tree by the wall. It has a side table thing to place the cookie sheet to cut the comb, is comfortable height and have a hose with spray attachment hanging off the end. We have clean buckets, bee vac., hives and clear instructions. Nothing is above 8 ft. So tomorrow it gets done. No more discussions and no more putting it off.

Thanks, to all. I have freezer room and will follow walt's clear instructions. If need be I will sit them in chairs off to the side and do it myself. You would think we were about to go to battle. All I can do is just laugh at two grown people that squeal like little girls every time a bee checks them out. I will bet tomorrow night they both are experts and know it all. You got to love human comedy.

Oh, the best part was the two hour discussion on which hammers were best to remove the wood cladding....not one nail was pulled but we have plenty of hammers availablle. I personally am using a pry bar and standard hammer just like I planned all along. I switched animals from pen to pens, did lots of chores that were just needing to be done and let them go at it. I just wish I had tape recorded it for laughs years from now.

Sue Karber Guest

Wink

We did it, we did it and it went so well. Got it all on video. My cousin wants to start new hives and my husband could not get over how much he enjoyed the experience. Both are experts now of course.
    A neighbor stopped by and asked if we would get bees out of wells he is working. We live 10 miles out of the nearest anywhere and this guy works the wells in the area. My cousin said sure, I said sure and my precious husband said sure....so we will have two more hives in a few days. That will give my cousin a start. The queen is huge and we got her. I did the comb just like Walt and Daniel told me to and the bees seem to like their new home. My smoker started working right when I did not need it anymore and we had a box completely stuffed with bees. Harold made the bee vac. like the site plans which was an all day process yesterday but today we did it after Harold got off work. It took 21/2 hours start to finish not counting suiting up and cleanup.

Thank you all so much.

Sue,congradulations!! Ron

------------------

Cool

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to hear everything came together. Now your husband can get that new table saw to make hive boxes LOL.LOL.LOL.LOL.LOL.LOL.
    Welcome to the world of Bee keeping. I've said it before, each extraction is different and causes you to have to plan out your steps, I find it fun and thought provoking. Started with five hives and have extracted 14 thruout the summer just did my last one Wed. of last week. Only had one abscound, and had to combine 2 that were just weak.
    KEEP ON BEEING

------------------
    'WHEN WE CLOSE OUR EYES WE ALL LOOK THE SAME' GWPW 03

Big Grin

Sue; plenty happy to hear of your smooth job,good luck in the future. Ron

------------------

Sue Karber Guest

The bee vac made it so easy. I really appreciate all the advice and help. It was lots of fun and HOT.

Sue, sounds like you are in the Bee Extraction business. It sure is a good feeling isn't it. Look forward to YEARS of learning about bees. Like others have said, each one is different but that makes it interesting.
    Been to Kingfisher and Elk City back when I was working for Phillips Pipeline. Keep us posted on your progress, it makes for interesting reading. Dale in S. E. Ks

Sue Karber Guest

My husband was with Phillips who created GPM then sold us to Duke but really still owns part of us. We started in Elkart, Kansas.

Good company to work for when I worked for them anyway. It has probably changed a lot by now.

The Bee Vac sure tames down the bees doesn't it? I built mine from the plans on this site and have used it several times and loaned it out to a friend several times this year.
    I brought 3 hives through the winter and now have 8. Hope to get them through the coming winter also. I use a Nuc Box, also built from plans on this site for a Swarm Trap and have caught 4 swarms this year. I put 5 frames of drawn comb in with some Lemongrass oil on the top frames and it seems to work. Place them in the area of known hives and about 8' above the ground. Have fun with the Bees.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12