Tonight I saw a frame of brood comb from a hive to the inside of which the owner had applied copper napthenate(wood preservative). The hive sat empty for 12 months after the application. This comb was fully drawn and the bess had absconded. The wax was tinged in varying shades of pink. he reported that all frames in the hive were in similar condition, with the ones at the outside considerably more colored. We could deduct no other reason for the pink color other than the coppper napthenate. Has anyone had any experience with this stuff? I don't think he'll make the same mistake again....

Copper N. is blue or green so I would wonder if the color came from that.It is one of the few wood preservatives still legal for use on beehives.I use it on the outside surface of bottom boards only.It may be ok to do the whole hive with it but I wouldnt want to chance it .Perhaps the bees found a drum of Hawaiian Punch somewhere!

[This message has been edited by loggermike (edited July 16, 2003).]

we've got a lot of stuff painted with copper naphtanate. I don't think that it has anything to do with your problem

I heard Copper Napthenate is carsinogenic. (spelling i know ) causes cancer is this true ?

Do not use CCA wood for bee equipment. That is pressure treated lumber, Copper Chromated Arsenic.

Copper Napthenate is OK. Haven't heard that it is carcinogenic.

Copper Napthenate is the standard treatment for hive bodies down here.I for one soak the supers for 30 minutes in a mix of 3 parts Kero or Turps to 1 part CN.The supers are assembled and painted when the kero has evaporated.(takes a month or so..)

The end lugs on my wooden frames also get a quick dip and alowed to dry prior to assembly.I have some older frames that were done in 1975 and are still good to go.

I have heard that pine supers treated with CN can last 40 yrs or more.

jim