Hello all, One of the farmers who I keep my bees on his property aproached me the other day, and told me that he may be spraying some sort of herbicide on the fields in front of my hives to prepare them for planting. I have read posts of people who spray Round-Up around their hives to keep the weeds down, but was wondering if the larger volume of spraying in the fields might hurt my bees?

I have kept a small yard mowed in front of my hives so they would have an easy time getting into the hives that is approximately 50 feet out in front of the entrance. I don't think he will spray on that part, as there is no need.

Is there any particular herbicide that I should be concerned about? Should I move my hives before he sprays. As aposed to Round Up, I would think that instead of killing the weeds compleatly he would be killing only selected ones.

On the good side, he asked me what type of crop I wanted him to plant that best suited my bees for honey. I told him that white clover would be nice. Any better suggestions?

Herbecides shouldn't do any harm to the bees. If you want to be more careful about chemicals in the hives, in theory you could close the bees up while he sprays. But if it's as hot there as it is here, that's not really on option right now.

If he is just spraying to prepare to plant I wouldnt worry much. However, around here it is common to add pesticide to the herbicide when spraying existing crops such as beans. They figure that they can get weed and bug control at the same time.

The only herbicide that I have read is harmful to bees is MSMA which is used for crabgrass, sandburs, johnsongrass and several other weeds.