Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Catching Swarms

I meant feral swarms sorry I missed that word.

I use cotton balls, a couple drops and set towards the back.
    \"ONLY WHEN THE LAST RIVER HAS BEEN DRIED UP<br />THE LAST TREE BEEN CUT DOWN<br />THE LAST WILD FISH CAUGHT<br />WILL MAN REALIZE YOU CAN\'T EAT MONEY\"<br />GHANDI (?)

&gt;Michael, you can answer this better than most I'm sure, is Kansas City, MO to Nebraska still having swarms of bees very regularly or are the swarms you are seeing coming from you or other local beekeepers. I guess I'm asking if you are seeing any feral bees?

I have captured feral swarms and also swarms that came from local hives. I've been trying to raise the ferals. They are very frugal with stores and cut back so far that the clusters look like they wouldn't make it through the winter, but they do.

The true ferals I'm finding are small (like small cell bees) and black. Distinctly different from the much larger and yellower domestic bees.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Michael,

How are these ferals fairing against the mites?

They are on small cell, so I can't say how much is the bees and how much is the small cell, but they are doing very well. The hives I've treated with Oxalic acid to see what the mite load was had 100 mites or less per hive at the end of a year of no treatments.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Michael,

Do you have any packages or nucs from the wild bees that have a wild queen for sale?

http://incolor.inetnebr.com/bush/bush_bees.htm

With luck I might have some queens as early as the first of June, but I'm figuring the middle of June to be safe. But I did see two drones on Sunday. [img]smile.gif[/img] Maybe if they raise some more drones I can start some queens earlier. I'm afraid I only have a few nucs right now and they are spoken for.

Michael, I live by lincoln. When should I expect swarms to happen around here. We should be getting close. I have my name in with the extension office and several exterminatiors. I am looking to catch my first swarm, so I don't know when and what to expect. Casey

Well, I set out 12 hives for next month to get get ready for splits and packages. Everything was inside . Last years drawn wax comb and several deep frames of honey from last year. Closed everything up and they sat for 2 months in the snow. I went back out today and behold . I now have 3 colonies which came in from the inner cover slot.God knows where they came from but they are there. Now to go back and set out Joes swarm lure with the regular 2 frame nucs in trees. Some careless beekeeper gave me a nice gift. [img]smile.gif[/img]

hi all, I caught a 2pound swarm monday. the bees were black and half the size of my russians.ihope they do well
    http//www.DeansHoney.notlong.com[/url]

Cool. [img]smile.gif[/img]

YB, I'm jealous. [img]smile.gif[/img]

This is my first post. Oh please be kind to this stumbling semi-newby....
    I put an add in the paper to remove swarms (I lost all but two of my 12 hives this last winter) and so far I have already caught 3 swarms this past week. I've had lots of calls asking me to remove bees from walls and attics, but that is far beyond what I want to do. My question for you more experienced folk: Some of the swarms I'm finding are very small bees. Truly feral. I don't want to put these bees on my standard plastic foundation. I know I can do the empty frame between two with drawn out foundation, but of course all my drawn out frames are "large" cell. Won't that theoreticly increase the size of these small bees? I mean the brood that is produced on the larger cell foundation? Is there a "deep" size small cell foundation out there? I would like to take advantage of the positive attributes of these small bees.

BTW, I am keeping my eyes open for any AHB nastiness, since I live in such an area. Thanks for any suggestions....
    Connie

Yes the brood reared in the large cells will increase the sze of the bees.

François Huber said in 1806
    “It was evident if the common eggs which the queen would lay in these large cells produced workers of larger size, we were bound to conclude that the size of the cells had a decided influence on the size of the bees. ”
    From the 1841 edition of Huber’s “Observations on the Natural History of Bees”

Deep is the only size small cell foundation comes in. When you find a description of "medium brood" for any foundation they are talking about the thickness of the sheet, not the depth of the frame. The size you want for a deep is the only size it comes in. I cut it in half and put it in mediums with a gap at the bottom.