Now I here people say that hives only live about three or five yearsÂ….. Then other bees / race may move in or so onÂ…. But the Bees you started with are gone... Now I know two hives that are in the same place for over 20 years.. the hives have out lived two owners... but bad and I can tell you bad bad temper will not have them around pets or kids or me. I tryed to work them, for the last owner they are just like my dads old Germany bees...and never like them.

A swarm will move into a hive where a colony has died out or absconded (completely abandoned hive).

New generations of queens will take over, after an older queen has died or superceded.

You can probably requeen those hives with a strain bred for gentleness (italians, carniolans) and the next generation of workers will be nicer.

A queen can live several years, but different beekeepers have their opinions on whether to requeen annually or not for best production/least swarming.
    Pocket Meadow Farm

I had a hive that was a continuious hive for over 20 years. I had never requeened it, and it survived the initial invasion of mites, but succombed to a bear in 94, I've never had another hive in that location.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Depends on your opinion of the lifetime of a hive. When a new queen takes over and all the bees are her progeny, is it the same hive or a new hive? If it is the same hive, then a hive can live for an unlimited time. If not, then I think the record life of a queen is 7 or 8 years.
    Someone will probably call me on this, tho.

Is the original hive the swarm that the original queen left in or the old location? Is the original hive just bees decended from the original queen still living in the same location? I'd say a hive can live forever. There are new bees and new queens but it's the same super organism.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF