I have completely changed my mind about goiong to al l mediums, and instead will be using all deeps, even for honey supers.

soooooo any of you carolineans have any deeps/frames sitting aroudn you would part with for a song? (I get to choose the song, and will be on a kazoo)

Howdy FordGuy --

Us Medium folks simply cut the Deeps down to medium size. No problem, no song. Even the frames with comb cut down easily when the comb is empty and dry.

Doc

Not to mention that the piece you cut off from the deep can be used for many things!!

[size="1"][ December 29, 2005, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: dtwilliamson ][/size]
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

>I have completely changed my mind about goiong to al l mediums, and instead will be using all deeps, even for honey supers.

I take it some weight lifter is willing to be your hired hand? [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm not in your area, but I already cut mine down anyway. Boxes. Frames. I even cut the 10 frame boxes down to eight frames now.

If you get a good system going, it doesn't really take any longer to cut frames down and reassemble than it does to build new ones, and it's much cheaper. [img]smile.gif[/img] And the boxes are even easier. The hardest part is making sure you miss the nails. [img]smile.gif[/img]

If it's a deep with a bad edge on it (as many old boxes are) you can even cut both the top and the bottom and use a router to cut a new frame rest and rejuvinate an old deep into a nice medium. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I had time to think about, especially when i was out in our yards taking 2-3 standards off each of a hundred or so colonies and now i'm a medium honey super lover, but still use deeps for brood nest. I love working my bees so anyway i can spare my back is the route i'll take. i find the bees work the mediums easier too.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

FordGuy, Since you no longer need them, and I don't think you can stretch them into deeps, want to let me have your mediums and shallows???

I'm not choosey, I'll use what I have and can get.

FordGuy, there's what you ought to offer. Trade your mediums to people for deeps. [img]smile.gif[/img] No cutting required for either of you. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

well, let me explain - part of my reason is financial. (i was kidding about the song, I can buy them but will admit I was hoping to pay less than the 7-10 per hive for new ones.)

I have a chance to do some small time pollination for 30 bucks per hive next year. I'd like to have 20, have around 13 now. I expect i will need all my mediums.

I do fairly well in my profession, but we had some unexpected expenses this past year and the little woman is (rightly so) looking hard at every new bee expense.

sounds like I just need to bite the bullet and start shopping for some discount hive bodies.

and Mr. Bush, as for trouble lifting them, all I have to do is flex and this shirt will pop right off...haha.

I found that Menards sells a 1x8x6' for 2.99. 10 minutes on the table saw and its a med super.
    I havent tried to make frames yet, but I am thinkin that a 1x2x8 (.99) would make several.
    All you need to do is convince the little lady that an 87.00 table saw is a nessessity and you're good to go!

[size="1"][ December 29, 2005, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Blue.eyed.Wolf ][/size]