I was successful in getting a queen accepted into my AHB nuc. How long do you guys wait before trying to do a combine and how do you suggest I combine? Should I kill the queen, wait 4 days, remove the queen cells, then intro?

Thanks,
    Eric
    Tatonka

Eric,
    When I did mine, I captured the old queen in the morning and put her into a 3-hole queen cage and banked her in another queenless nuc (backup insurance). Then early that same evening (just before dark) I put newspaper on top of the hive, placed an empty deep on the paper, then moved the 5 deep frames from the nuc into the empty deep (the nuc was deep frames too) and shook the remainder of the bees clinging to the inside of the nuc into the deep. I then closed it up and waited.

I repeated this process 3 times with 100% success.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Hi Joseph!!!

Was the nuc you took the frames from and shook into the empty deep different than the one you banked the queen in? Also did you just leave in the five frames or did you put in foundation/drawn comb also?

I don't have to worry too much about it yet, but times they are a-changin'. Thanks!
    David

Joseph,

Thanks for the help, how long was the queen in the nuc?

Eric
    Tatonka

No, I actually built and populated 4 nucs about the same time. The one I banked the queen in was a different nuc. I filled in with empty comb and some small-cell foundation. I also used thumb tacks on the top of the frames to indicate "Housel position" and placed the nuc frames centered in the super with empty comb - foundation on either side.

I had the new queen in the nuc about 2 weeks before I removed the old queen to a cage and did the combine/introduction of the nuc with newspaper. The new queen was introduced to the nuc using a push in cage of #8 hardware cloth over emerging brood and kept on until she was laying. This took about a week, and then she had another week to fill the nuc with her eggs and brood before she was relocated to the hive using the newspaper method.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Eric, I don't understand the question. Did you put a EHB queen into an AHB nuc?

Tim,

Yes, I'm trying to intro a EHB into an AHB colony.

ERic
    Tatonka

I've had good luck introducing queens in nucs into full sized queenless hives- 2 for 2 so far. Both hives were queenless for at least a week (don't ask why..). Most of my (4 frame) nucs have removable bottoms so it was a simple matter of putting newspaper on top of the hive, cutting a couple of slits in it, then setting the bottomless nuc on top and covering the rest of the hive with a board.

Introduction didn't take long.. less than 24 hours in one case, no more than 36 hours in the other. I was concerned that it went so quickly, but both queens were accepted and are doing well. Next time I think I'll use 2 pieces of newspaper to slow them up a little bit.

George-
    Dulcius ex asperis

Eric, I've only done that once. During the 8 years I kept bees in South Africa the situation never came up but back here I did it the hard way. Killed the old queen, waited two weeks, killed all the queen cells, took out lots of brood to make the hive less populous and then put the EHB into a normal queen cage with the entrance stuffed with marshmallows.

down here in south texas a quick way to introduce a new queen has been to spray the lady down with sugar water with vannila in it as well as the hive she is going into to cover any scent have not had any rejections with this method

I removed the old queen late yesterday and just introduced the Nuc and new queen this morning. My daughter had the eyes to find the old queen and killed it before the thought of banking it in another Nuc came to me (good idea Joseph) I've lost a couple queens already so I hope this one works. The Nuc was pretty strong for only 4 frames but that AHB bunch may give her trouble anyway. I wish I had read George's post about the sugar water, it may have helped me get her accepted.

On another note, The smaller hive I introduced to the old fashioned way is doing well. I didn't know how old that queen was and was afraid it may be AHB or at least a cross so I requeened it.
    It consisted of 5 frames brood and 2 honey. Not much more than a nuc. Something that surprised me though was the number of queen cells they tried to make during the four days I left it queenless before intro.."11".. That seems like a lot of queen cells to me. Which may indicate that it was AHB. I know it was feral but they never gave me much trouble. Probably because it was a small swarm.

Now I'm in the Italian bee business.

Eric
    Tatonka