Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bee Trailer

Anyone see this on the bay?? (no connection with seller)

Looks like a great idea.

My concern would be ease of theft if set at remote locations.

But man would it take a load of work out of moving hives.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...500034703&rd=1

One could always run a log chain around the axle's and around a tree, with a good lock. It might slow them down a bit. They also make ball locks that fit inside the hitch.

If they want it bad enough, they will get it.

It would be nice to have though.
    Todd Zeiner

This looks like a decent price considering the equipment. Any thoughts on how fair the opening price is?
    Central IL... where there are more hogs than people and more soybeans than hogs and people put together.

The price is fair but out of my league.

I have a 6 x 12 aluminum that I could "copy" this idea to........ Also a double axle car hauler.

One could build this design and save big $$.

Great concept!

The description says you can remove the tongue to prevent theft by pulling 2 pins.

I have 3 trailers that are similar, except they hold 11 per side, single decked, for a total load of 22 hives. I would HATE to have to harvest honey off the top rack...it would be Tylenol Extra Strength time after getting the full supers down and putting emptys up...

BubbaBob

I have a similar, but single story bee trailer with 20 hives. I used a travel trailer frame I got for free and spent about $350 to get it the way I wanted it. The trailer works OK, and makes moving 20 hives easy. I do get some drifting with hives near the trailer tires even with different color brood boxes, but it is managable. It is harder to work with hives on the trailer because they are so close together. I can get some sway on the trailer when driveing if there is too much weight in the rear of the trailer. No matter how much I "sweet" talk the bees to put more honey up front, they put the weight on the trailer where they want to. I think the 2 story design might make working the hives difficult. I suspect the 3800LB trailer capacity could be easily exceeded with 40 hives, particularly if driving on bumpy roads. I don't see how you could safely move the trailer with full double deeps or with honey on. Don't forget a truck and hitch with the capacity to tow that kind of weight safely. In Texas my trailer registration runs about $60/yr. Make sure the hives are well straped. Trailers bounce alot and it is hard on the bees.
    I also use a 10ft sled type hive stand that I can slide in and out of my 5X10 tilt utility trailer ($45 in materials). The sled holds 6 hives, made from 1 1/4 angle iorn. My utility trailer easily holds 2 sleds or 12 hives. I can load a sled on the trailer in about 5 min.

Quickly now fellas. Redesign this rig based on your experience. We'll have a trailer spec'd out in no time.

I'm changing the single axle to a tandem with serious leaf spring suspension. It will increase the capacity and handling immensly and make it a much safer pull. Make sure the tires and wheels are EXACTLY the same as those on the truck that will be pulling it, and replace the factory jack and tire tool with one that can handle truck and trailer both.

Next modification?
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

I don't know the weight limit on the axles on mine...they are cut down mobile home (not travel trailer) frames and axles...tandem axle. The capacity should be fine, and the old frames/axles can be had cheap.

The hives are set in pairs 4 inches apart with threaded rod rising between them, with a piece of slotted 2 inch angle as a cross piece over the top of two hives...same setup equals same height on hives, so you tighten down the top bar on the hives to hold them down.

Check with your state tag people...here in GA a trailer dedicated to bees is agriculture...no tag requirements unless you are going to cross state lines, then tag is 15 bucks.

BubbaBob

I agree that 2 stories is incompatible with anything but pollination.

Double axles is a must.

A nice center walk.

A simple lift system.

I would add a metal toolbox somewhere for the smokers and duct tape.
    Todd Zeiner

We simply jack 'em up and remove the wheels,
    setting the trailer back down on the ground.

Anyone who wants to try and steal it has to
    bring their own jack, wheels, and lugs. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Coyote:
    "Make sure the tires and wheels are EXACTLY the same as those on the truck that will be pulling "

Please explain why.
    Oh, flat exchange ?

I have been thinking on this for awhile . My main reason being able to move them in a hurry because of spraying . We have an aphid now they spray for at times in the bean crop . I am thinking keep them on smaller trailers make placement easier and not far between my beeyards either . Use a lockable hitch to deter thieves .

Drifter
    Some can learn by others mistakes , others have to whizz on the electric fence for themslves .

The one thing most needed on this rig is a sway bar. Its an easily added item but requires a receiver type hitch on the truck and the appropriate ball added to the tongue of the trailer. Go to any travel trailer supply store and you can buy a complete setup for about $300.

This rig would also need electric brakes. The easiest way to get these would be by using an old travel trailer frame with the brakes already in the axles. Add a brake control to the truck pulling it.

I personally would not use a trailer built like this one with the deck on top.

Fusion

Well I did alot of work with carnival/fair rides. I have been thinking about something like this for pollenation. When I looked at the link I agreed about the hight of the second layer but then had a brain storm. Add a angle iron down the middle isle on both sides and make a sliding platform to work the top hives.I have a mobile home that was gutted by fire. I have thought about cutting it up into small trailers. I can get the brake axiles from the trailer company were I used to work. My thought originally was to make the walk way down between the frames with the hives sitting on the frames with a support at the back of the hive going down to the walk way. Since this will be for pollenation, You could make how ever many layers you need. My local pollenation is 10 to 20 colonies from the people asking.

Mine pull fine with no sway bar or brakes...I like the set-up enough on the three I bought lasy year that I'm going to make more for all but 15-20 of my hives.

BubbaBob

Please explain why.
    Oh, flat exchange ?
    That's it. It's just more convenient to have standardized wheels in case of a flat. I also like the tongue of the trailer exactly parallel with the ball hitch when it's hooked up instead of having it drag or sticking up at an angle.

The electric brakes, sway bar, tool box all make sense to me.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

If you were going to make one from scratch, one could incorporate a moveable axel similar to a tractor trailer. I would think moving the axel would require a hydraulic jack of some type and would add a lot of cost.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

I was thinking of a fleet of trailers for pollination. You can buy those little one-axle deals for around $500, so you could buy a dozen or so and drop them off in the pollination site. Put maybe 8-12 hives per trailer and park them at various locations around the fields or orchards. It would be expensive to start with, but it beats getting all stung up loading those things with a bobcat at night.
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

Transporting trailers would be a bear........ If you are going a distance and trying to set a few hundred hives you are stuck with the bobcat routine.

It would be slick for small scale though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast