I medicated my bees for nosema and foulbrood using Fumilgan B and Terramycin. All medication was finished by April 17th. I think it is time to add some honey supers, so, how long do I need to wait after medicating before I can safely add the supers. The supers are all new foundation.

[This message has been edited by honeylocust (edited May 11, 2004).]

The standard answer is you don't have to wait. The reality is, of course, the bees move things around all the time, so you can't be sure what they will do. But it doesn't matter how long you wait you still won't know what they will move where or when.

I just don't medicate. At all.

But since you have, I'd just stop medicating and add the supers.

Err.........you dont medicate. At All.
    Ever? Or just during honeyflows?

Please elaborate...

J.R.

I've had bees for 30 years. I've never used Fumidil. I used Terramycin the first two years and never since (28 years of not using it). I used Apistan for two years and it failed the last time I used it. I don't use that anymore. I've never used Checkmite. I've never used menthol. I've never used Thymol.

I used Wintergreen oil for a couple of years (a couple of years ago) in grease patties and syrup. I used FGMO on the top bars for a couple of years. I used FGMO fog last year and finished up the year with some Oxalic acid vapor for the mites.

I HIGHLY recommend monitoring the varroa mites and monitoring for any disease. Then, at least, you know where you stand and can decide if the bees are doing ok or not.

Thanks for the reply Michael. I would like to not use medication and do everything with natural remedies, but, the book I am reading highly recommends medicating for preventative means. The book also highly recommends not adding any honey supers that will be used for human consumption until 4 or 6 weeks has elapsed after finishing the medication. This is where I become confused. Is it 4 or is it 6 weeks and now you say I don't have to wait at all? Are you recommending no medication until you actually see a problem? And then medicate at the time of the problem? Wouldn't that be too late for American Foulbrood? Thanks for any input!

You will find many people who believe you should not treat for something you don't have and that treating for things you don't have is why we now have TM resistant Foulbrood. Also using it all the time masks the presence of AFB spores because you are constanly knocking out the bacteria but not the spores.

You will find some who will not medicate even if they HAVE AFB. Dee Lusby had a lot of it when the mites first hit. She doesn't anymore and never treated with anything at all.

Many people who BELIEVE in using chemicals believe it's a bad idea to treat without a reason.

Of course, it's your choice. I chose 28 years ago to stop using the Terramycin and have never had any AFB.

I also buy used equipment from time to time and keep my old black brood combs. My bees are supposed to be dead, but someone forgot to tell them.

I do try to find out what happened to the previous occupants of the hives when I buy used equipment, of course.