My bees are using my Bird Bath for their watering hole. I noticed that when the Temp. was 95-100 deg. they did not carry any water like you would think if they use it for cooling the hive. Now that the weather has cooled down to the 70 & 80's there is always several at the bird bath. Anyone have an explanation. Dale

We have the same dadgum thing happening here. You won't believe this but five hives have gone through two gallons of water in the past nearly four weeks. The difference is, prior to this, (I use the Le Bistro water feeder from wally world), the feeder was in full sun on a table, then I moved it onto the ground in the shade of an evergreen tree and they're at it non stop. And I began adding salt to the water. I thought these were bringing them onto the water more. Maybe not?

I wonder if bees truly Do have water socked away in different cells in the hive as a winter preparation?

I always wondered what they did for water in the winter. I never noticed them stocking it up, but maybe they do. Qhen the queen quits laying there are all those empty cells.

I think they use some of the condensation in the hive body around the bee cluster.

ian

Lightbulb

Could it bee that they have some crystalized honey in the hive that they want to move?
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

during the really hot texas summer my bees regularly visit the livestock watering trough. They also love the mister set up for the Llamas to lounge under. Had to add some floats into the trough to keep the bees from drowning.

While the heat has broken I still see them collecting dew off the grass (I presume) occasionally but the visits to the watering trough have ceased. I have to believe they are gathering water during the slack periods in the honey flow. Once the flow came back on my guess is there is plenty of moisture in the hive for cooling.