Thread: rearing queens

I have read and reread books and articles on rearing ones own queens. I get as far as having the ripe 10 day old cells on the bar and the writer usually says something like this " You must remove the queen cells and place them in your hive, nuc, or incubator but they cannot stay any longer in the finisher hive as the first queen that emerges will destroy the rest. I understand all that quite well, BUT my question is, how do you remove the queen cells from the bar and place them in the individual nucs. I don't want to screw up the first batch of cells I produce so can some one help me on this. And please, no long winded treatiste on how to raise queens. Just tell me how to get them from the cell bar to the frame. And Dee, I appologize. After reading quite a lot more about your program of converting back to a smaller cell size I understand now why all the discussion on feral bees. I understand what you are doing and maybe I'll even try it.. Bobby

Hi,

Very carefully cut them off the top bar with a knife as close to top bar as possible. Some beekeepers use a wooden cell base that the queen cup mounts onto which is then put on the bar. These are easier to remove. Either way just be gentle.

Clay

Thanks Clay, OK, I got that part. I kind of expected something like that but wasn't sure but you didn't go far enough. Forgive me for being so dense but now that I've got them off the bar how do I place them in the nuc. I will be making my own cell cups with bees wax and graft. I know there are several different system you can purchase to do this with, Jenter, Miller, etc, but I would like to do it this way. I like a chalenge and once I get this queen thing down pat or at least some semblance of success with it I am going to try that smaller cell size thing the Lusbys are doing. Thanks again, Bobby

Hi Bobby,

Sorry so late in reply. Been busy with bees as I keep 40-50 colonies. On approx day 16 queen emerges (read Wedmore this isn't always true). On day 12-14 remove capped queen cells and place in nuc's. Handle very gently and try to keep them upright if possible. Remove empty frame from nuc,hive that needs queen. Open the frames apart in mid of colony and gently slip cell in so it is held up by the frames. Kind of wedged in there so to speak but don't crush it at all. That's why I take out a frame. some times you don't have to remove frame use judgement here. Wait til cell hatches and put frame back in. If I can do it you'll do fine.I'm working on regressing colonies this year. Should have six colonies down smaller and some smaller combs in others. When you do this use full sheets of foundation not starter strips. Bees will key in much faster to full foundation. Also it take forever to build entire combs from strips and the cells are not as uniform with strips and you'll end up culling many frames (I know).

Clay