Question

I have been seeing the honey bees working on some craked corn I have thrown out to the wildlife, i was wondering what they would be getting from the corn?? any ideas???

Could it be the sugar content? See bees working on apples but not corn.

Clay

Lightbulb

I thought perhpas it was because the corn has a wax covering on it, but you might be correct.. its hard to say,...

------------------
    (THS)

They are looking for some sort of protien source. I see you are a farmer in your profile. get some ground up fine and they will take it back to feed brood. If you have some ground soybeans they seem to like that better. I ground some corn and roasted beans at a 1 to 5 ratio and they love it. they take it back to the hive like crazy.

Question

I was wondering about putting crushed corn near the hive, I thought perhpas this would cause the birds to take up a few of the bees, any problems with this??

------------------
    (THS)

Big Grin

Grind it to a powder if you can. Put it in a shalow box or pan. The birds will not bother it very much. I have not seen any around mine. Good luck

The corn has probably gotten wet and the corn's starch is metabolizing into sugar. That's how beer and it's distilate "whiskey" is made.

Hi guys -

A few years back, I had dumped a pile of fine sawdust from my table saw outside in the fall. The next spring I found the bees on some of the early warm flying days, dig around in it and roll all over it. It was hilarious to see! Like catnip to a cat. I also think there was some element they were getting out of the damp sawdust and taking it back to the hive.

Keep watching those bees and see new things.

-Barry