Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

mineral oil for mite control

9K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  oldforte 
#1 ·
Is anyone using mineral oil for mite control? I've been putting a small bead on the top bars for a couple years. Recently I saw a beekeeping site offering an insecticide fogger (one that never had insecticide in it) to atomize the mineral oil and blow it into the hives. Anyone with experience with this?

#3 ·
Not wanting to start flogging this dead horse again BUT newbees should know that many of us tried mineral oil and the mites increased.So you should approach this cautiously and be prepared to use an alternative.I am absolutely convinced mineral oil is ineffective.Others believe it is the answer to our prayers for mite control.

#11 ·
Controlled studies done by reputable sources....seems in the study..to have folks with that knowledge...carry more credability than single source experience. Wouldn't you agree? Any controlled studies to refute this? All i'm trying to do is try to figure out the best and easyist way to prevent mite pop. Fogging with fgmo and maybe some additive seems to fit.

#12 · (Edited)
As usual the devil is in the details. "Fogging with fgmo (and maybe some additive) seems to fit."

Here is a snip from the site Rader linked to.

"Although grease or oil patties have been proven to be effective against tracheal mite (by disrupting its questing behavior), I haven’t had any luck in finding verifiable data demonstrating success in using fixed oils to control varroa. However, fixed oil may be useful as a carrier to distribute essential oils. Indeed, the specific type of oil carrier greatly affects the absorption and excretion of essential oils (Wilson & Isman 2006)."

#16 ·
When Reading Randy Oliver's site he warns against fogging MO because breathing the fog could lead to terrible health problems. He quotes from Palmer 1990 in a site www.nap.edu on Toxicity of Military Smokes. This site indicates that breathing industrial smoke for many years in a working enviroment could cause a number of health problems. Come on Man! What does that have to do with fogging bees? It pays to research some of the stuff thats out there.

#17 ·
Cherry picking information is only one of many tactics to support or cast doubt on something. All such get in the way of objectivity. You are absolutely correct about research; just because something is written up on the internet sure as heck dont make it factual.

The easiest information to absorb is that which supports what one already believes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.