Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: russian queens

Ihave 10 russian queens,and find they seem to requeen so often.

------------------
    B. roger eagles

I also have russians, and yes they do like to requeen probably more often than other races. I consider this to be a benefit... they keep the queen young and thus less work for me having to requeen. I have 100 hives now (nearly all russian), and they save me time not having to medicate for varroa, and much less requeening (due to swarming and supercedures). This works for me, but I can see that others may not want this.

You have Pure Strain Russians or an Hybrid?

I have found with the Russians, they are excellent producers, totally defensive as well. I had one hive that got hit by a black bear well the Russians placed the run on the bear in mass. Nothing was damaged at all.

------------------
    3BeeKeepers

Lightbulb

The requeening might have something to do with the disruption in the mites ability to reproduce. If they stop laying eggs for a while then the mite has noplace to go and lay thier eggs. I think this is just a responce to the mites over the years that these bees were infested with them. They also make move hives by swarming then they would better thier chances for survival over the course of the years.
    Just my $0.02
    Dan

Dan, can you explain why Russian beekeepers treat their hives with oxalic acid for almost 25 years?
    I personally know several beekeeper immigrants, some from the Ural Mountains in Siberia who used that acid I Russia.

Love yore response.The other breed i have here produced 300 lbs last year in the hot drought,this year im at 200 and ready for my final pull next week end,will be down cause cold lots of rain and had freek frost last week,but russians don't make as good as these medium yellows.Like the idea on bears,maybe ya got sumthin on requeening cause of mites.

Have to wonder if they will run a bear off what are they like to rob ?

I have a hot hive now and am not impressed at all with the antics of these girls .

Drifter

------------------
    Some can learn by others mistakes , others have to whizz on the electric fence for themslves .

Good response.Yes,they are pure breds,and i have had robbing at one time,but since i cleaned up my act and went cleaner and treated each hive the same,like,feed all at same time,reduced entrance,don't leave weak hives in large colonies,etc.,ive no problem.It's worth it cause large producers over the russians.

thinking on trying the russians myself.
    would you call them a mean bee, or just a bit ill?

From my experience, I'd say the Russians are just different. Their defensive behavior is different. They will follow a bit further and head butt more, but they seem to sting less and, at least the ones I've had, didn't all get worked up, just a few would keep head butting.

It is a bit disconcerting at first until you realize they always do that.

Any hives I have with any degree of Russian DO sting more than the average Italian or Carn.The pure Russian breeder(very dark) hives I had werent agressive all.They also didnt build up very well or make any surplus honey.The further the bees get away from Russian the better they are in my opinion.

as in when there is no russian left, they are finally good!

Cool

Well I didnt want to come right out and say it!

Smile

I got 2 nuc's of russian bees with sister queens from pure russian mother queens. and 1 three pound russian hybrid queen package with russian-hybrid queen from mt.vernon georgia. the package has twice as many bees in the hive( a buster) lots of honey and brood frames produced.

Smile

I got 2 nuc's of russian bees with sister queens from pure russian mother queens. and 1 three pound russian hybrid queen package with russian-hybrid queen from mt.vernon georgia. the package has twice as many bees in the hive( a buster) lots of honey and brood frames produced. started in may 2004 now 9-05-04

I'm sure I didn't have PURE Russians, but my experience is they are not very predictable. Some do really well, some don't. Some are more defensive and some less.

Thats exactly right Michael.There are a lot of different strains and mixes being called Russian.I am sure some are excellent.But the ones I had werent adequate, to say the least.

I have had Russians (hybrid) since starting bee keeping 5 years ago. I have only noticed two hives that appeared 'hot' and they both calmed down after about a week. I had ordered a replacement queen for one and before the replacement arrived it had returned to its original gentle ways. This particular time/episode has been the only time I have been stung while fully suited up in the coveralls/gloves/veil.

It is possible that their higher rate of supercedure make their aggressiveness about like the weather - just wait a bit and it will change

I do quick opening of hive top inspections without suiting up but do always suit up for major work. I have just found it is hard to guess the required amount of smoking – some days none, some days a lot but most times what I consider regular.

rocky ridge bees Guest

all my hives have russian queens,but the workers are Italians. only problem,they like to bump heads. i've been in the bee buzzness for 6 months still learning.going to all the classes THE COLLAGE can give.oh yea been stung twice both my fault. bees hate weed eaters

has anyone used walter kellys russian hybred queens and if so what did you think of them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast