Question

In your opinion what is the best way to install a queen into an observation hive that presently has a laying worker? Am going to do it hopefully this coming weekend. I have a plan but maybe one of you have a better method!
    Thanks
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

I would probably shake it out, then take some brood frames and the queen from another hive and install them. Then take the new queen and introduce it to the hive you stole from.

>In your opinion what is the best way to install a queen into an observation hive that presently has a laying worker? Am going to do it hopefully this coming weekend. I have a plan but maybe one of you have a better method!

I've never had any luck at it. I even shook out the laying worker hive after putting a different nuc in the observation hive and the bees from the laying worker hive, propmply returned, balled and killed the queen.

I'd say the only hope for it would be a push in cage for several days, but there's no clearance in an observation hive for that, so I'd set up a nuc right at the tube, close the tube and put the bees in the nuc. A frame of brood wouldn't hurt if there are any.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Okay--the bee tv is back into operation! Here is how it went.
    Took O H out fifty yards from house, removed the frames and layed them aside after shaking off bees, placed two frames from a good hive with capped brood, queen, honey and bees into observation hive, replaced glass and replaced on living room wall, reconnected tube and patted myself on the back for a job well done.
    Bees behaved like real ladies, no fighting at all. I had anticipated some scuffles and was concerned that the girls would ball the queen. Saw one bee with a mite on it but otherwise all looks good. One frame was not drawn straight and several bees were sort of squished into the comb by the glass, this morning the bees had released all of the trapped bees by chewing them out. There are still quite a few drones in the hive.
    Thanks for the input.
    Today I hope to requeen the queenless hive in my bee yard.

powernapper,

Did she make it alive and well?

She was a beaut but did not survive the journey. It happens. Solved the dilemma by taking a nuc that was queenless and had a capped queen cell and placed the nucs frames into the queenless hive, maybe I will get lucky and the future queen will mate, I still have lots of drones but the weather could get a bit shaky. Keeping my fingers crossed but if the queen does not mate I can always join this colony with another. Thanks for trying. She arrived at noon--fastest queen delivery (ups) that I ever had.

Darn, I was hoping to see what she did next year.
    I think it's suppose to be in the 70's this weekend.

[size="1"][ October 05, 2006, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Yuleluder ][/size]