One of my co-workers was telling me that he knew an old beekeeper that was a smoker an used cigarettes to smoke his hives instead of a bee smoker. Anybody ever heard of this?

The president of the Madison County Beekeepers Association (Huntsville,Al)uses a blend of tobacco and pine straw. He teaches a beginning beekeeping class and this is one of the things he brings up in class. Huntsville is about 30 miles south of the Tennessee state line and there are a few tobacco warehouses in south-central Tennessee. He uses "scrap" tobacco picked up off the floor at these warehouses.
    you must endeavor to persevere

Sure. I know old beekeepers who smoke cigars who do it. Some don't even wear a viel since the smoke tends to keep the bees out of their face.

I prefer my smoker. It will make more smoke and direct it better.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

One of the beekeepers i know keeps a big fat cigar in his truck all the time just in case.It works in a pich but the somker is better.
    Mitch KD8IMF

So the tobacco smoke works well on the bees, (I've even heard that it has a negative effect on mites), but are the toxins obsorbed in the honey, wax, and or pollen to be passed on to unwitting consumers, or does anyone even know?

Waya
    WayaCoyote

If there is any significant residue, you're smoking them too much. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Just the same, if you smoke your bees with tobacco, you might want to put some variation of the Surgeon General's cigarette warning on your honey containers, at least the "May be Habit Forming" part..

Kidding aside, tobacco is a powerful narcotic and the smoke is quite toxic to insects, not to mention people. It'll knock `em out and kill `em if they get too much. It's one thing to pull on a stogie while working your hives, the bees can (and will) avoid it, it's quite another to blow any volume of tobacco smoke directly into a hive. I'm sure it makes the bees docile..

If you google "varroa tobacco" you'll come up with numerous references (now days, if you google "banana hubcap" you'll come up with numerous references). Apparently they've done some tests in the Netherlands and elsewhere and concluded that while tobacco smoke did kill mites, it also killed some bees. I'm not aware of anyone currently touting tobacco smoke for varroa control.
    Dulcius ex asperis

At last years bee meeting, they were discussing analysis on honey to the parts per billion and trillioin. They said that by testing the honey that finely, they could tell if the beekeeper smoked by the residue of the cigorette smoke inthe hoeny in the parts per billions, or trillions.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

A friend of mine just returned from a conference on breeding high nicotine tobacco strains. The purpose was to extract the nicotine for use as an insecticide. Appearently nicotine is more toxic to the invertabrate than to mammals (most of the carcinogens and toxins in tobacco are not related to nicotine).

Yes, it does work. Though I am no longer active in beekeeping I have used cigarette smoke (I'm a smoker) to temporarily calm them while doing quick checks around the hives. More on a as needed make do basis when I wasn't planning on opening the hives and didn't have equipment to hand. Usually a case of calming them enough to get up close for a visual inspection of the outside or entrance though I have cracked the top open for a quick peek time or two.
    Now as to the other use of tobacco. I will not open or work a colony without a chew of redman in place. It is true about tobacco relieving the itch of a sting.
    Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
    www.atlantawildliferemoval.net