Question

There is an auction around the corner from me this morning and I was wondering what everyone thought this equipment would be worth.

Plastic Outer Cover (About 10)
    Plastic Bottom Board (About 10)
    Wood Bound Queen Excluders (9)
    Deep Brood wooden frames w/ wedged top (About 90)
    Wax Foundation for frames (About 30)

Here is the real kicker!
    100# Kelley Double Boiler with motor, paddles cover, motor, etc.

Kelley 100 gal Stainless Storage Tank with cover

I know what this stuff is new, but wondered what it is worth used. It all looks to be in really good shape, especially the big stuff (and plastic of course).

Thanks for the info!
    If you see me runnin' you'd better keep up!
    http://hillshivery.blogspot.com/

My rule at most auctions is not to exceed 1/2 the cost of new. But with shipping cost's nowdays, you might go higher. The tanks for sure. If there isn't any other beekeepers at the auction then you might get a bargin.
    Wish I were there. HA HA Good luck.
    Todd Zeiner

I agree on hardware like the tanks. 1/2 of what it goes for new is fair and maybe take into account the shipping too. But on empty hive equipment it's a bigger risk and I think it's worth less than half. I only buy used hives if they are very cheap and I think the person selling them is honest. If I get any funny feeling about the way they are acting, or a lack of direct answers, I walk away.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

This stuff has been in a garage for several years. It is an estate auction. I didn't list the wooden hive bodies (about 4-5) specifically for that reason. I only trust new-unassembled or stuff I have bought/built. I figured the plastic equipment should be good though. Can AFB/EFB survive on plastic wear?

There is a local keeper that I work with that wants to go halves on the equipment at the auction, but there isn't anything I specifically need. I thought about buying then reselling the Double Boiler and storage tank on ebay.

You will probably be surprized at how low it goes. Your resell idea is a good one.

The auction I went to bundled everything in one bid. But I doubt that yours will due to the nice tanks.

I talked to a someone there just a little bit ago and he said there were 3-4 people looking the equipment over pretty good. I guess we will see.

You're giving me auction fever!! I love them..... too much.

The last auction I went to with bee stuff had several people circling it, but when it came to bidding I got the whole lot for $80.00.

I always have a max price written down on a card for items and stick to it. It is so easy to get caught up in "auction fever".

Good luck and let us know how it went!