Glenn Guest

OK - need everyone's experience here. Have a customer who uses a combination of vinegar and honey 4 times per day as a pick me upper. Says she's heard it from a few folks that this combination is great for an energy boost. I can understand honey, but why vinegar???

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

I have found the cider vinegar helps with sore throats, colds, conjestion. It clears the sinus'if conjested.

My drunken bee told me about hard cider and honey. She said it gives a sweet buzz.

My guess it works because of the placebo effect.

Big Grin

I have a form of arthritus that makes extra calcium and the Rhumatoligist has me drink a shot of this mixture 4 times a day and it helps relieve most of the pain.
    Clint
    I spell poorley

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan
    Beekeeping sence 1964

Clinton, what is your recepie?

Lightbulb

Don't know about arthritis, but a guy I work with just bought 70 lbs. of honey from me for his wife. She has allergies and says the honey does the trick. She mixes it with vinegar, too. Her recipe is a tablespoon of honey to a teaspoon of vinegar. Probably everyone has a different recipe.

Lightbulb

>but why vinegar???

>....because of the placebo effect.

As good an explanation as any IMO. Here’s a link that mentions something about alkalinity and acidity, etc.
    http://www.doctoryourself.com/honey.html

Glenn Guest

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I imagine vinegar mixed with honey since honey would mask the taste of vinegar?

Glenn

------------------
    www.eBeeHoney.com

I first read the book by Dr. Jarvis "Vermont Folk Medicine" back in the 60's. As far as I know he is the one who popularized the idea of apple cider vinegar and honey. He does base it mostly on the changes in pH of the blood (and in response to that, the urine). Some foods change it one way or the other and not necessarily just because of the pH of the substance being eaten but because of changes in metabolism.

I was never that fond of the taste of vinegar, myself.

I'd look for the book in a used book store or where ever. It was printed in paperback several times. The one I remember seeing (and I think I have a copy of somewhere in a box) had a mostly yellow cover.

The pH and acid/alkaline references are what I have heard of also. My guess is you could check with some folks that follow Ayurvedic principles (I think from India) or some Asians that understand the whole yin/yang thing (if that applies to foodstuffs).

Doesn't the perfect BBQ sauce have a balance of honey and vinegar?

Walter T. Kelley still carries the book by Jarvis.

http://www.bragg.com/FAQ/faq_applecider.html

------------------
    Rob Koss

Jason G in Tennessee Guest

I tried making vinegar once with apple peelings and honey and water and ended up with something a bit stronger!
    JG in TN

Fellows; Somewhere there is a book out that lays out the folk medicine uses for vinegar. I got an ad for the book, and one example they gave was a remedy for leg cramps.

I suffered terribly from leg cramps at night in those days. After I read the piece about vinegar I put a bottle by my bed.

Next time I had a leg cramp I put a tablespoon of vinegar in a glass of water and drank it. In less than three minutes the cramp was relieved. Best of all, I had no leg pains from the cramp next day.

I've used that remedy ever since, though I don't have the leg cramps very often nowadays.

I cannot explain this, but I have a little hunch that tells me the vinegar is stealing a tiny trace of calcium from my teeth and giving it to my bloodstream each time I do this. At any rate, it works.
    Ox

Big Grin

The recipe that I was told to use is 2 quarts of cider vinegar to 1/3 Cup of honey
    taken 1 oz at a time 4 times a day.
    This is used for Ankylosing Spondylitus Arthritis pain relief. The Dr said that this was an old time folk recipe that seems to work. I know it helps me.
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan
    Beekeeping sence 1964

A muscle cramp, technically, occurs when your muscle tightens and shortens causing a sudden severe pain. Muscle cramps generally result from overexertion and dehydration. When you don't have enough fluid in your system, it leads to an electrolyte imbalance that causes your muscles to cramp up. Electrolytes are minerals such as sodium, magnesium, calcium and potassium that help the cells to function normally. An imbalance occurs when we have too much or too little of one or more electrolytes in our system. The main electrolytes affecting muscle cramping are potassium, sodium and calcium.
    http://www.betterbodz.com/library/muscle_cramps.html