Thread: New Queen Cells

Smile

Got a hive that has been a straggler this year... Lately, I've noticed a couple of queen cells forming in this hive on one of the frames. The bees seem healthy, but apparently don't like the "bought queen" I placed in the hive back in the spring. I have noticed more activity on the outside of the hive in that there are more bees around the entrance. Usually happens in the evening.
    Are they about to swarm? Or are they just getting air, taking a break, smoking cigs, and talking about the bad ole queen they are going to replace ?

Bearding is usually because of heat and lack of ventilation. Add more ventilation, make sure they have room and forget about it.

As far as the queen cell, is it up in the middle? If so, it's probably because the bees aren't happy with the way the queen has preformed and intend to replace her.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks Michael,
    I've added popsickle sticks to the top of a fairly new super. What else can I do for ventilation?

I use popsicle sticks on top in the front and push the top forward. It works. And I need to always have popsicle stick available. lol

Hawk
    KC0YXI

Do you have a SBB? You can prop the top open more with a stick. You can use two shingle shimes to prop it enough to make a full width upper entrance. You can slide one box back 3/4" to leave a 3/8" gap and an upper entrance.

If you got the bearded bees to move back in, I'd say you've succeeded already.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Whats's an SBB? I've heard of SOBs..Ain't seen none today. Anyway, I've got an inner cover on top of the medium super. And then the standard top that fits down & around that, but on popsickle sticks. Do I take the inner coveroff & prop the top 3/8"?

Th ebottom board is just what it says. The hive sits on it. SBB is a screened bottom board. make the holes in the screen big enough for varroa mites to fall on through. The may not make it all the way back into the hive. And a bonus in ventilation. some people take them off for winter.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

Screened Bottom Board = SBB