Novato (25 miles north of San Francisco), California

Hello All,

Just curious. Around 7 PM (these days), my bees all return home. Not a single one is buzzing about outside. What's going on in there. Sleeping? Goofing Around? Chatting About The Day's Work? I've put my ear to the super, expecting to hear or feel a buzz, but nothing to report. Are they whispering (pillow talk)?

Thanks.

David

Mine keep straggling in until dark, but tend to start slowing down about 1/2 an hour before sundown. Right now sundown is just about 9:00 pm here. Maybe they got unionized and their new contract is shorter hours?

Some say bees don't sleep. I don't know what they do when they have their head stuck in a cell so immobile that you think they are dead, but it looks like sleep. But they are just as likely to do that in the middle of the day as the middle of the night.

I've never seen them "goofing around", unless that's what it is when they get on the landing board and do the wave. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Maybe they are clustering and making comb. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

What kind of temperatures are you experienceing in the evening? To have all of your bees return to the hive by 7 PM sounds a bit strange unless the evenings are cooling off very rapidly. My bees typically don't all make it back to the hives until it's just about too late to even see them cominig in.
    I can put my ear to the hive at just about any hour of the day or night and hear the constant buzz of my girls working inside. To not hear anything at all is strange indeed.

I'm not trying to be smart or anything, but, is your hearing OK?
    Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Taken!

"I don't know what they do when they have their head stuck in a cell so immobile"

I always thought they were polishing out the cells with their toungue. Although I admit, it does look curiously like malingering.
    It\'s people! Soylent Green is peeeeople!

I have an observation hive and the often build burr on the glass (more so before I fixed the bee space). I've seen them raise brood in the cells on the glass AND I've seen the immobile bees with their heads in the cell. They look like they are dead for a long time. They aren't polishing the cell.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If it's drones, I just figgered they were drinking beer and watching TV waiting to have sex...

BubbaBob

AND I've seen the immobile bees with their heads in the cell.
    Maybe they're pining for the good ol' days of larvae-hood.
    Lesli<br /> <a href=\"http://beeyard.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://beeyard.blogspot.com/</a>

Novato (25 miles north of San Francisco), California

Hello Carbide.

It has been a bit cool in the San Francisco Bay Area lately (65-68 degrees @ 7 PM)...and very, very windy. I think those factors might be bring them home early. My hearing is excellent (thank you for your concern), but I'll try again.

Best,

David

This is the poorest honey flow year I have seen in the Bay Area in 35 years.

really?, its been a pretty good flow here in gilroy, not too far from you
    Happiness is something final and complete in itself, as being the aim and end of all practical activities whatever .... Happiness then we define as the active exercise of the mind in conformity with perfect goodness or virtue.