Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

East or South or maybe west?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  TAWoods 
#1 ·
So, how important really is it to face the hive to the south or east or somewhere in between? In nature, they don't seem to care at all. Why am I asking? Well, I have a field that has a slight downward slant to the west and is bathed in sunlight for 10 hours a day. To the east is trees, so I really can't justify that direction. The south is somewhat the same.. So, what is your experience with this? -Thanks

#2 ·
most winds blow from the west ,or north in winter,if you have a good windbreak it might not be as much of a concern.some beekeepers say having the morning sun hit the hive helps get them working earlier.if you face the main entrance away from the wind you can also put a hive body with an upper entrance facing the opposite direction for the season.

#3 ·
Ideally, your hive should face away from the prevailing winds, generally East. You should have early morning sun to warm the hive as early as possible, and you should have a good windbreak from the harsh winter wind. Lastly, you need afternoon shade to help the hive keep cool in the summer heat.

Generally this means faceing an Eastern clearing with a good treeline to the West and North. A pond or creek nearby will help quite a bit too.

As long as we are wishing, make that Eastern clearing a field of clover and alfalfa.

------------------
Bullseye Bill
Smack dab in the middle of the country.

#4 ·
The general rule is, as everyone has pointed out, just a practical one. If you had a house with the door open all the time what direction would you face it? Not toward the prevailing wind because the rain would blow in and the cold would blow in. Can the bees do fine with it facing the prevailing wind? Depends on how much the rain blows in and if the bottom board is slanted enough to run it back off.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info! However, my prevailing winds are from the east to southeast... And in the north, we don't get the hot hot after noon temps... Has anyone tried facing the hives in other direction other than east or southeast.. I would be interested in hearing your findings. Also, I would be interesting in hearing everyone thoughts on the subject. -Again thanks!

#6 ·
I'm in the south(Ala),but I've been watching my hive's & paying attention to their location's & the one's that is faced to the southeast seem's to do better.I use some with s.b.b & some without,I cannot tell alot of diff- in the way they work on them.also I've been collecting alot of wild bee's this year & we have noticed that we find a bigger percent of them facing the east, but the biggest feral hive I've ever seen is facing north.& I mean this hive is big,hanging on the outside,the people that live's there said they have been there for 3 yr's, so what im saying is that in the wild I see them in all dir- ,but the most is facing east,so it beat's me. Mark

#7 ·
I think I've faced them most every direction except north. Often the direction has more to do with human traffic than what's ideal for the bees. Especially when I had them in town. They do well most any way, but if you end up facing a storm there will be a lot of water on the bottom board. In the winter, I worry about the snow and the cold blowing in.

The bees don't seem to care.

#9 ·
Thanks again for the information. I have decided to face the hives to the west on the small hill behind my place. This will give the hive a slight forward tilt so water will drain. The sun will reach the hive around 8:30am and last all day. We have long warm days in the north during the summer season, but there are not terrible hot. Thanks again for all the insight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.