Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool

I thought I made a great find today. I purchased 30 shallow supers (no frames) and 175 new unassembled frames all for $30. The supers are in fairly good shape - just need a coat of paint and years of lifetime left. The wife is anger - and said something like "I thought you had all the equipment you would eve need! You don't even sell the honey!"

Don't they know you never get enough equipment? I am already planning some new splits.

Sounds like a bargin to me.

i guess i cant help you here since I AM the wife as well I AM beekeeper but my hubby doesnt complain he actually likes that i have a hobby (expensive as it is) that i enjoy, im actually the one who complains that he wont get around to making my boxes to save money
    but if i found a deal like you did, bet your bottom dollar id go buy!

JohnBeeMan don't feel like the lone ranger guy . I get told all the time about the bees .

If I stay home it is all I get to see of you is the back of your head from sitting at the computer LOL .

Drifter

When the wife realizes that bees are keeping you too busy to go to bars and houses of ill repute(not that YOU WOULD!) she will accept the expense.And when you buy her a new car from the honey money she will never say another word.

It could be worse, my wife says if it she not talking about bees I am not listening. Go figure!

I just point to the shoe collection. Then duck.

kookaburra Guest

Well, my wife would be happy about me getting a good deal....

but whew...try having 4 kids and a sick pregnant wife and then try to get out by the bees!

If I get excited about the bees I now just go into the basement and explain it all to the wall...it appreciates it more...

-rick

Yep, my wife doesn't care to hear much about the bees either. Doesn't complain about the money as I am real cheap anyways...

dtwilliamson Guest

Best way to spend $30 on a bargain and not hear about it is to make sure she feels like she can spend $30 on whatever she wants. If your purchase is $500 then let her spend $500. Takes alot of money to do it that way! But then they love to see you spend.

Then it means she's got money to burn. But you better save up first!

Dan

"I just point to the shoe collection. Then duck."

She has a duck collection, too?

Cool

Hmmmm. Well I am the beekeeper here too.

I ordered some stuff from Betterbee - the big box came. George is "are you going to have to buy more supers? I thought you had enough?"

I am on the organics email loop. He will be on email and I ask about if any for me. "Oh just your bee people. These guys can talk! Who is this Michael guy?" Hey Michael! wink wink ; )

But when he asks me about the bees, he is truly interested. This is my first year. He is really wanting to see some honey come from these two hives.

Martha - bee mommy

Big Grin

<<She has a duck collection, too?>>

No, a wicked left hook!

>Hmmmm. Well I am the beekeeper here too.
    I ordered some stuff from Betterbee - the big box came. George is "are you going to have to buy more supers? I thought you had enough?"

You can never have enough.

>I am on the organics email loop. He will be on email and I ask about if any for me. "Oh just your bee people. These guys can talk! Who is this Michael guy?" Hey Michael! wink wink ; )

Good thing it says it's to the entire Organic list and not just you. He might get suspicious.

>But when he asks me about the bees, he is truly interested. This is my first year. He is really wanting to see some honey come from these two hives.

We'll see how long it stays just two hives.

Big Grin

>>We'll see how long it stays just two hives.

It just like raising rabbits! Impossible to just stay at two!!

Does she have a hobby? Help her find one if she doesn't. Otherwise, get her a gift certificate to the local shoe store (or clothes, or candy or whatever)for the amount you spent on bee stuff. (Note-electric and phone bill, grocery, mortgage and car payments do not count)In our house- we have my bees and craft stuff- and my husband has "the Boat" and his fishing stuff. After what we are spending on the boat- I have pretty free rein with my bee stuff. Providing all the bills get paid.
    Besides- isn't that why we call it "disposable income"

JohnBeeMan, you said everything there needs to be said there. I thought two hives would be good. I have four now. Next year it'll be eight probably. Oh well, better to spend it on bees than cars that get me into trouble.

Yep 2 wont last long.4 full seasons later i now have 11.As for the mad wife i cured that problem and now have a happy woman friend that loves to help with the bees.

Bob

Me too, Dee & Martha! When I talk bees--which is most of the time--my husband's eyes just glaze over. He ignores the money I spend on beekeeping and I ignore the money he spends on radio control airplanes.

My wife is very interested in my bees ...I have had them 4 years and from two hives I have 17 now 12 on my back lawn...Today she pointed out one that is getting ready to swarm ...Also she has lined me up to give an exhibition to the kids at the Rec Center next year of course I`ll take my observation hive ...and throw in some honey bee coloring books and honey flavored hard candy ...She wears no gear and has to watch me work with the bees and has never been stung ? ...Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast