I was wondering if one could spray the bees with sugar water opposed to smoking the bees?

I heard some people do spray instead of smoke but would like some other opinions.

thanks

Its nice to have a lot of options. I would not spray syrup on them unless is quite diluted. Like two parts water to one part sugar. I prefer smoke for most situations. You only need a little smoke to make a lot of difference and you won't drown them or stick all they hair down with the smoke.

I use a very fine spray of sweet water. You could use honey as the sweetener but if your hives are close together, other bees might be attracted by it.

I spray near the entrance and just at the site where I work to calm the bees. The bees would much rather be sprayed with sweetened water then asphyxiated by smoke.

>The bees would much rather be sprayed with sweetened water then asphyxiated by smoke.

Well, I've only ever asphyxiated any when I was using tobacco smoke trying to kill mites. It did not work well, by the way, but it did asphyxiate a lot of bees.

If you use TWO puffs at the entrance and TWO puffs on the top when you open it you CANNOT asphyxiate any bees. I breathe more smoke than that every time I light a campfire.

As for what the bees prefer, I never asked them but they never seemed to mind either one much, but the sticky black lethargic bees who are covered with syrup don't look too healthy to me.

Also if you do use sugar water, and get the bees all wet, make sure its not going to be to cold out, or they will die.

certainly beebarf....

i don't really have any reason to be inside the hives when it's cold.. and if it's cold, they're in cluster. Not out and about the hive.

MB, he he lol....

I knew my post would ruffle yer feathers... giggle...

no need for two posts

[This message has been edited by Daisy (edited August 22, 2004).]