Thread: Bee Tree

One of my neighbors has a bee tree in his yard. Saturday it split and fell. It split the hive right down the middle. I looked at it this morning. Looks like lots of bees, small and yellow, and they seem quite calm. I stood about a foot from the combs and looked them over for 10-15 minutes. It looks like 2-3 feet long combs, maybe 2 feet in diameter overall. Most of the bees are clustered on one side, so I'm guessing the queen will be there. I'm going to try and hive them this afternoon.

Wow! What an opportunity! You didn't even have to cut down the tree!

I'd get several buckets with lids and sort the honey into one, cut the brood to fit in frames and tie it in and the scrap comb etc into another. Keep a lid on the honey.

Have fun.

Well, it's done. I pretty much did just what Michael described. Very nice bees until I got well into the brood nest. They finally did get mad. I got one very light sting in the back and one when I went back later without my suit to take the last picture. Take a look. We'll see in a day or two if they move into the hive. I wedged it into the area. Quite a bit of honey still up inside the tree. Maybe they'll rob it out. http://www.myoldtools.com/beetree/comb1.jpg http://www.myoldtools.com/beetree/comb2.jpg http://www.myoldtools.com/beetree/comb3.jpg http://www.myoldtools.com/beetree/beetree.jpg

oops

[This message has been edited by Ross (edited May 26, 2004).]

Did you graft some of the comb onto frames that are in the hive? Did you find the queen and then put her inside with foundation? I don't know how to move feral bees into a hive really, could you explain your method?

I cut about 5 frames of brood and rubber banded it into empty frames. I shook as many bees as possible off the combs into the box. Not real successful on that I don't think. I figure I'll give it a day or two and see where the majority of the bees are clusterd.

I first sprayed the bees with a mixture of sugar water with a little lemon oil and spearmint oil in it. They seemed to like that ok. I then smoked them some and waited about 4-5 minutes. They pretty much ignored me while I cut the left hand side (fewer bees) brood and then carved out as much honey as I could reach. They got more agitated when I moved to the other side and started removing sheets of comb from the brood nest. I didn't get the banana smell until I got up into the cavity near the original opening. All I could do was reach in and grab the comb with the bees on it and try to twist it loose. That really got them going. It was still better than working my hot hive last Sept.

If there's brood and bees in the hive and nothing much in the tree, they will move into the hive.

CHECK IN A FEW DAYS TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A LAYING QUEEN IF NOT YOU MAY HAVE ACCIDENTLY KILLED HER SO YOU MAY NEED TO ORDER NEW ONE?

It looked like there was plenty of brood and eggs. I'll let them raise one if possible, so I can get the genetics. I may have to go back in and try to carve out more of the comb that I couldn't reach this time, but it did appear that there was activity in and out of the hive body this morning.

[This message has been edited by Ross (edited May 27, 2004).]

My brother and I removed some bees from a house this spring and we did the same. Smoked like mad, moved 'em, left them to raise a new queen if they needed one. We even got a bonus. They kicked off a swarm right before we got there. I shook them down into a new topbar I made and then helped my brother move the others. Two for the agrivation of one.

Looks like I'll be going back with the chainsaw this weekend. There must be a good bit more comb up inside the tree where I can't see. Most of the bees are still clustering in the original opening and up inside, so the queen maybe there. I know the other side has alot more honey up high that I didn't get.

Anybody built an observation hive out of a log section. I'm thinking about with this one.

I haven't but here's some pictures:
    http://outdoorplace.org/beekeeping/natural.htm

I went back to the bee tree this morning with a chain saw. I have a section 5' long cut loose and will move it this afternoon with the front end loader. The comb fills that entire section. I probably had no more than 100 bees in the air while cutting next to them with the chain saw. Now I have to decide whether to leave them in the tree or cut it open. Initially, I think I'll try stabilizing and setting up the tree section.