Had to share my freaky experience that happened a few days ago. We requeened our Buckfast hive about a month ago and wanted to check on her again. I was going through our Buckfast hive and my dad was working on his Starlines...I looked for the queen in my hive but never saw her. I just figured she was anyplace but where I was looking. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I put the hive back together then turned around to see what my dad was doing...and then felt something under my pants crawling up my leg. Dad usually just squishes the ones crawling up his leg, but I just decided to wait and see if the girl would come out. I obviously wore the wrong pants for the day because a second one started heading up my leg too LOL

We got done and I did the stiff-legged-I-have-a-bee-in-my-pants walk and lifted my pants up slowly...and as they came out, I started to walk away when I saw one of the girls was actually the Buckfast queen I did the OH-MY-GOD-ITS-THE-QUEEN dance LOL and got her put back in the hive. I have no clue how she came to be crawling up my leg, but I was really glad I hadn't squashed her!! Especially since it's so hard to find another queen right now...but anyway she's laying and doing good considering her little trip.
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by...

Nice story. It always helps to be a little lucky.

Good job rescuing her.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

LOL it was a lucky break...I never saw her at all until she came down out of my pants. Bet she's got quite a story to tell the rest of the girls around the campfire
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by...

Every mother needs a break from the kids now and again. It's good to get some fresh air now and again, especially if you have 40,000 children under the age of 2.

I was searching a nuc for a queen and quite surprised to find a nice brood patren, capped and open brood and eggs and no queen. After looking and looking (it was a two frame nuc) on the frames and down inside the nuc I finally gave up and opened the nuc next to it to find the bees balling a queen. I caught her and got the bees off of her and put her in a cage and set her aside and found the reigning queen in that nuc laying and doing her job. So I put the balled queen in the first nuc and the bees seemed to accept her so I turned her loose.

What was she doing in the nuc next door?

I've also opened one nuc looking for a queen and looked down to see a queen on the ouside of another nuc. Unsure of where she belonged I had to catch her and search all the nucs in the area, all of which had laying queens except the one she was near the entrance of. What was she, a laying queen, doing outside? I wasn't even looking at her nuc. Getting some sun?

Queens sometimes do some odd things.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Queens sometimes do some odd things.
    No kidding.

One of my hives was particularly strong at the outset of this season, building up very quickly out of the the two deep brood chamber boxes. In May, I put on four deep honey supers.

The odd thing is that on two occasions in July, with that hive going gangbusters, I found the queen in the very top honey super! She was simply strolling around among the workers who were busy filling the comb with fresh nectar. There had been no laying in the honey supers except for a few in the middle frame of the first one above the brood chamber.

On both occasions, I shooed her majesty into the front entrance. The hive seems to have weakened somewhat in August. Either it may have given off a small swarm when nobody was looking, or the queen hasn't been taking her responsibilities seriously.

By the way, I'll be harvesting about 90 kilograms (200 lbs.) from this baby. However, a new monarch may be coronated in the not too distant future.

Anyone else ever witness this kind of behaviour?
    \"Where the bee sucks, there suck I.\" William Shakespeare: The Tempest.<br /><a href=\"http://www.parliamenthill.gc.ca/text/hillcam_e.html\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.parliamenthill.gc.ca/text/hillcam_e.html</a>

&gt;Anyone else ever witness this kind of behaviour?

I've found her on the inner cover. The bottom of a top feeder. In the supers. On the bottom board. On the side walls of a box after removing every single frame. On the landing board out front. In the hive next door. In an empty box next door. Right in front of my eyes on my veil.

Of course none of these places are where I USUALLY find her. But rasing lots of queens I tend to be looking for them more often than most.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF