Hybrid View

Question

How well would open mesh floors be in central NY state? Would they reduce any mite population and add ventilation to the hive which may even reduce the tendancy to swarm if crowding occurs? Should they be removed prior to wintering ? Thanks

Wink

Hi
    Screened Bottom boards can be used anywhere . The keep the bottom of the hive clean . Make it impossible for droppped mites to climb back up . Give all year around plenty ventilation , thus preventing dew points on top.The screen is actually 1/8 hardware cloth obtainable in hardware stores.The latest model has the screen frame removable as well as a removable solid bottom board beneath for mite count and ventilation adjustment. The brood chambers are located on top of this contraption.
    It is said that it helps to reduce the presence of mites (Varroa) ,which I can attest to . All my hives have this feature.
    There is plenty of info at this forum if you spend some time to look around.
    Question : I have without result looked for "Closed mesh" as opposed to "Open mesh". Any Ideas ???
    JDF

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAlex:
    How well would open mesh floors be in central NY state? Would they reduce any mite population and add ventilation to the hive which may even reduce the tendancy to swarm if crowding occurs? Should they be removed prior to wintering ? Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    cornell university has done experiments with #8 mesh and the results are approx. 15% reduction in mite infestation these screens are easily constructed and by reversing you bottom boar and inserting a 1/8" plywood sheet with contact paper upside down or smeared with vasiline you can monitor mite drop yourself, i have all my hive son screens year around, joel

Juandefuca and Joelz...Thanks for the responses...didnt think anyone was going at speak on this...I plan on trying these on some of my splits this spring...Rick