Greeting all,

I am planing to switch all my brood boxes to Pierco foundation, and I am thinking of using 11 frames instead of 10, and I wonder if anyone else try doing that and can share some information.

The main reasons I want to do that for are:
    - More space for the queen to lay so I will have less swarms.
    - One more brood frames.
    - More frames per box while the bees are drawing the frames so they will draw it more nicer.

The only reason I can think of not to do that the extra space taking by one more frame may make the broad more crowded ?

any information is appreciated.

Best regards,

Nothing wrong with your idea, follows all the theories. Some use eight frame boxes, for their own reasons.
    You will probably have to build your own boxes, for I dont know of any manufacture who strays of the 10 frame box.
    Keep in mind, straying from the standard will devalue your equipment for resale. Guys who have converted to eight, payed nearly the same as a ten, but when switching back to ten frame boxes, there was no sale for the eight.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Ten works. It's sure nice to have people like you to experiment and tell us why we're sticking with ten.

Good Luck,

Hawk
    KC0YXI

Hi,

What I am planning to do is to put 11 wooden frames with Pierco foundation in a stander box, The idea started when I was checking one of my nucs and I found there was 11 frames in it so I put one extra frame in it I didn’t notice at the time I think because most of those frames were foundation.
    Now if I have 11 frames on a stander box that is 10% increase of the broad box, and supposedly Pierco foundation will give 20% increase in the number of brood cells so 11 frames with Pierco foundation will be about 30% increase using the same boxes I use now with 10 frame with wax foundation.

I am planning to experiment only with 10 hives and go from there, but I wonder if there are any things I am missing or anything I have to watch for.

Best Regards,

Mahmoud

Ten at the best of times is tight. That is why alot go to nine in the brood. I have stuck with ten, and perfer it for many reasons, but dont know how you will work in 11 drawn frames without shaving the frames down a bit. To me really there is no huge advantage to running that extra frame. I run doubles, and twenty frames is more than enough for the bees to work in. Many up here run singles, 9 or ten, and it works just fine for them. When doing the math, you will find that the queen will not keep ahead of a single ten anyway.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I don't think you'll really get more brood frames, they just fill the outside frames with honey anyways, and that's more honey that you're keeping from the supers. I'd say going the other direction is a better idea.

edit: plus you'll probably just get frames that are drawn all the way out up to the next frames and have those frames untouched. Put it this way...is there space being unused when using 10 frames?
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

Just rotate frames from honey in brood to empty frame,get rid of excluder,move brood up to 3rd,--if ya got full size supers--,keep young queens,ya should be o.k.
    B. roger eagles

With small cell size we have noticed they draw it better when the spacing is narrower. I have a few boxes that have 11 frames in the brood box. I make my frames so making them the right size is just as easy as making them a bit wider or narrower spacing as I use a screw in the top bar to set spacing. For 11 frames in a standard box the spacing is 1 1/4 instead of the 1 3/8. Other than resizing your standard frames there is no down side.

Thanks All for the information it was very helpful,

HillBilly: What cell size do you use? I am planning to use Pierco foundation which I don’t think it considers small cell am I correct?

May be since I am experimenting so I should use true small cell foundation in few hives, Any idea where I can find them (and they will ship them to Canada)?

Thanks,

Best Regards,

You should have the experience of prying out a sticky brood frame before you experiment with 11. You do have to get these frames out. Most use 10 for a reason. It leaves a little slack for manipulation.

Dickm

I use 11 frames in the brood box. I either checkerboard PermaComb with regular frames or I trim the end bars down. The only reason I do it, really, is to get better small cell. 1 1/4" is what the spacing is and that coresponds to what I see in natural brood comb. But natural brood comb runs from 30mm to 35mm with most around 32mm (1 1/4") so the bees adjust pretty well to anything from 1 1/4" to 1 3/8" (standard frames) pretty well in the brood area and much larger in the honey storage areas.

If I wasn't trying to get natural sized cells I probably wouldn't go to the trouble of cutting them down. But there are other proponents who have advocated 11 frames who weren't doing small cell.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF