Within the next few weeks, We're going to install one of the electrified cattle panel fences that were featured in the bee magazines last winter. Right now, my hives are right beside my chicken house, where the chickens scratch around the hives, clean up any dead bees and eat any potential SHB larvae. I was considering installing the panels about 10" above the ground, so the chickens could still scoot under there and do their thing. Do you think raising the panel lie this would give the bear more of an advantage than if it were just a few inches above grade?

Thanks,

Diane W

My high tinsil fence is ten inches above ground, because of this the skunks and other small critters can cruise right into the bee yard, the bears have not been inside yet though (knockin on wood).
    Won't your chickens fly over the fence to get inside if you lower it?
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

I hadn't even considered skunks. They're around but have never messed with the hives.

I don't think there will be anything interesting enough inside the fence to make it worth the chickens while to bother flying in. They forage around the hives now, & will probably continue to do so as long as they have access, but I don't think a few dead bees will make them fly. They are all large fowl & don't fly as much as bantams.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

How big is your coop? Why not incorporate the coop into the fenced in area. It will keep the coyotes, foxes, coons, etc out of the coop and the chickens cleaning up around the hives.

It won't hurt anything to raise your pannels high enough for the chickens to get in. The whole bear fence idea is based on the idea that you have to lite the bear on the nose, before he gets his head past the wire. If you bait the fence, he won't be looking down before he gets educated. How did the pannels work for you? I have thought about these, only placing them around a flatbed on a running gear, so it's portable. It'd be nice for those little pollination jobs.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Don't fence out your chickens. I assure you, they are picking up as many live wax moths as they are dead bees.