I am in the process of trapping some bees out of a hollow tree. This is going on the 4th week. I put 1 frame of brood with some eggs in a nuc box near mouth of wire cone that I had installed over the hole in the tree. All is going very well, they have drawn nearly 4 frames out(just had foundation to put in the nuc box). I am going to move them into a full size box this weekend since I have a division board feeder in the nuc. I put a queen in the box 2 weeks ago(removed queen cells or I believe I removed them all), she was accepted and out by the third day, went back a couple of days later and checked all was still well. Went back to the hive yesterday and BAM a different queen in the box. So I am curious as to where ya'll think she came from?
    1. I missed a queen cell? Maybe, but wouldn't think they would have accepted the queen I put in.
    2. She came out of the tree? Really don't have a clue about that, this is my first time to try the tree trapping deal, but I wouldn't think she would leave the old hive this soon if at all.
    3. Other ideas?

Marty

>Went back to the hive yesterday and BAM a different queen in the box. So I am curious as to where ya'll think she came from?

I've often introduced a queen that the bees seem accepting of only to find a different one later. My guess is there was a queen cell that emerged since then. Queen cells are easy to miss as they are often covered with bees. But sometimes I've had it happen and I couldn't come up with a good theory. Maybe a virgin from the tree went on a mating flight and couldn't get back in, so she went in your hive.

It's doubtful that she's the laying queen from the tree.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited August 12, 2003).]

Marty - very likely that the queen from the hive in the tree did come out - she will either drive the new queen out or will leave herself with a number of bees from the outside box. AS the number of bees in the tree dwindles the queen cuts back on egg production and slims down enough to get into the outside box - RMM

I have had people tell me the queen would come out. I've done the cone method many times and never had that happen.

Would be just too lucky to end up with a queen from these bees. Course the queen that is in the hive is rather smallish like these bees, and I only had the one frame in the hive with eggs and it only had maybe 50 to 100 eggs in it and I looked really hard because I wanted the queen that I put in to make it not raise 1 from the eggs cause they came from rather aggressive stock. But in any case, looks like my experiment is going very well and should end up with another hive of bees.

Thanks for the responses
    Marty

She very well may be a virgin from the tree. I guess you can wait and see how her offspring are.