There's still patches of snow in the woods here in NH, but the bees are flying and bringing in pollen. I'm assuming they are building brood, but haven't felt it was warm enough to go in and look. What temp is ok for a quick look? 63 today, and that's the best so far. I did FGMO last year with what seem to be great results, but wonder when I should start this spring. Thanks

garyl:
    As long as the bees are flying it is acceptable to use FGMO in fog form. It's never too early too start! (as long as they are flying)

I agree with Kurt. If they are flying it's not too early. With FMGO you have to stay on top of it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Why do they have to be flying?

Basically it's a sign that it is warm enough for the bees to handle the application of fog. Cold is not a problem for bees but wet is. When fogging the bees get a fine mist of FGMO all over them to encourage grooming. If the the temperature is below their flying ability then it could cause harm in the way of freezing the cluster.

Kurt

I just hate to disrupt them when they are clustered. I might cause them to break cluster when they really shouldn't.

Some do treat them even when they aren't. I just don't think it's a good idea.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Hi garyl, I believe the Dr. has said to make sure the bees are flying, what I would do is ask the Dr. to be sure. This would be a question for the for him on the FGMO FORUM. Take care JJ

I wouldn't think the fog would penetrate a cluster very well -- and you need good coverage to be effective -- if it really is effective. But that's another topic.

But it does bring up a good question. Does winter moisture damage bees by creating a further chilling effect on the bees as the water evaporates? If so, since FGMO doesn't evaporate nearly to the extent that water does, it may not be a problem.

Or does the moisture mechanically interfere with the bees' ability to move their wings to generate heat. If so, I would think FGMO would create the same problem.