Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Its lousy here also. Looks like alot of money for sugar this year.

Crazy year. I can see bees on clover and early goldenrod at the same time. With this last statement you would think the supers are full. NOT!

Whatever I can get off the strong hives are probably going to go directly on the ones who need it.

Not looking to fill those early spring market orders for honey next year. GO GOLDENROD!

Just got back in from the bees a big NOT.BjornBee i see the same as you i am still thinking i should have all full supers.
    Loggermike glad you got some rain. I been trying to send it out west for weeks now.This area was at one time the great black swamp.I think mother nature is trying to reclaim the swamp.4 inches of rain th last 2 days thunder storms,hail and the works for tonight.
    good day all going out to get the boat ready Bob

I just got back fron a 4 day circuit of bee yards.

Hi Clinton,
    Question? here in Ohio hasn't been very good either, the bees are hitting the dutch clover pretty good. you mentioned the goldenrod flow, don't or can't you get a super or two of honey for them and still have enough for the bees for winter.
    Answer. The golden rod is just starting to blosom and the bees are going crazy on it. It looks like a large crop of honey will come from it. Last yest I got about 60 pounds of honey from it and it made fantastic creamed honey.

im planning and hoping and praying that it will be a strong flow for me as well as the bees, I winter in two deeps .we also have aster that flowers at the last part of the goldenrod flow and the bees hit it really hard and the flower doesn't die until the first real heavy frost. what is your thought buddy, or am i deceiving myself.
    Walt
    answer: I use 3 large brood chambers in each hive and normally have 3 to 5 6 5/8 supers on each hive. This year I havent even gotten 1 super from each hive. I have been removing by the frame.
    The flows that we did have I could not get new comb pulled well.
    It sounds like we have about the same flowers around here but I have never seen so much goldenrod as this year.
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

Honey flow started here in early spring, then came the rain, and rain, and rain, etc. The honey flow has disappeared and we have started feeding to keep from starvation. Lost one hive already, between no honeyflow and mites levels, it was too much for them to handle.

I have continued to fog, but it has gotten really tough on the bees with no nectar to gather.

Thesurveyor

The honey flow occurred early here too. If you didn't have your suppers on early you missed out. I put mine on in March. I extracted late June and pulled 55lbs from one hive. My other hives are new packages and did not get anything from them. All packages are extremely low on stores right now, but I'm hoping that the cotton flow will come through for me and that I won't need to feed too much this fall.

[This message has been edited by AstroBee (edited August 06, 2003).]

Cool

I am pleased to see some mention of "aster". This year we have lot of it. It is so unusual here that I had difficult finding out what it is. I had to ask an agronomist form the university. He happens to be a neighbor. The local farmers couldn't identify it and don't know why it is here this year. Aster has been in full bloom for a couple weeks but the goldenrod is not blooming yet. What we call "ditch" clover is in bloom now. I believe "sweet clover" is the correct name. Whatever; the bees are still making honey.

Checked three yards today, each with 50-60 hives. Nearly every hive was full of white capped honey. Each hive had from 4 to seven mediums over 2-3 deep broods. Found several with drone laying workers---These I broke down and tossed the supers onto the strongest full hives.

I will start pulling honey now and toss an empty on each as there is still a good flow going---at least for a little longer.

A couple were tall enough I had to back the pickup up to the hive and check from the tailgate. Truly amazing what 4 weeks will do.

We started pulling our "good" yards last week.They will probably run about 90# each. Overall, we're probably looking at a 50# average. 80% of our honey has come in the last two weeks and is from soybeans. We're only working on barrel #5 but three of those barrels are very dark. I think it might be from multiflora rose. It was the first honey that came in. I've never gotten dark honey early in the year before.

Cool

Hey dont worry,next year you will probably have 20!Some on here are keeping hundreds but most started with one or two before going totally insane with bee fever.I dont know if anyone on here is keeping thousands,the ones I know dont have time for the internet(or getting any sleep either).

>I'm guessing it's a case of small-town syndrome, where everyone knows everyone else and out of habit all she left was her name. Hope she calls back.

Try the phone book. She's probably in it, especially in a small town.

Check out her name on Yahoo "People search"

No surplus honey yet in my 2 hives ( 2nd yr beekeeper).
    We have had a lot of rain /overcast here in N. Illinois. Should I feed or wait?

------------------

Is there enough stores to winter? If you're running two deeps for a brood chamber it should be full of either brood, eggs or honey. If it is, you can just see what happens. If not, I would feed.

Soybeans have saved us. It's still going to be a below average year but we should get around 50 to 60#. That would give us 30 to 40 barrels.

Is there enough stores to winter? If you're running two deeps for a brood chamber it should be full of either brood, eggs or honey. If it is, you can just see what happens. If not, I would feed.
    Response: Thanks. I have 2 deeps and one medium full of brood -- I have an empty med above that hoping this will be drawn out and filled w/ honey.

With the strange spring we had here in S.E. Michigan, I did not expect our all new packages to do much.

What SURPRISE we got!

We checked on the hives the 3rd week in July and decided to wait and see if they were going to fill the deep supers we had on them.

All were 4 deep high and a couple were 5 deep high. We have 7 hives in our yard.

We pulled and extracted last week and got 800 pounds from them!
    We will look and take surplus again in late September and anticipate another 200 pound from them.

We have a hive at our house also and they haven't really done much. We use that one for cut comb honey and so far only have 2 deep frames of comb capped.

Somebody mentioned a MINTY taste to their honey. My wife noticed that also in some of the honey.

Anyway, we were rather pleased with the production our Carns gave us this year. Like I said previously, these were all NEW 3# pakages in late April.

Stephen & Lori
    from Michigan

I think mine would have been better had my packages not been killed on the first shipment. The second packages were good, and I have 2 deeps on the hives. Top deep has 3 frames in each one not drawn out. Dry summer, weeds aren't even blooming well out here. SW Oklahoma.

wow those sound like good queens were did you get them USAvaitor?

We picked up the packages from Buckeye Bee in mid April. We bought 10 packages, but in 3 of them the queens died or were killed shortly after installing them in the hives.

We combined the queenless colonies with good ones using the newspaper trick.
    We have discovered that we have lost yet another queen. The hive is still strong and did have a decent amount of honey put away, but there is NO brood. We received a new queen today from Florida and will install her after work. Our goal is to see if the colony will grow strong enough to make it through the winter.

We really like these bees, Carns that is. They don't use as much propolis as Italians and don't seem to bee as aggressive. (pun intended)

If it wasn't for the fact that we lost 3 of original queens, I would be very happy with the packages from Buckeye.

Thanks for asking.

Stephen & Lori
    in Michigan

It appears that Im down to about a 20# per super average. That absolutely stinks. Well at least Im not wasting too much on cappings.

Honey from last month was nice white basswoood. Or I should say basswood overpowered it. Probably had just as much black locust. And the super average was closer to 25# then. Honey this week was about the color of used motor oil.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234