Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shumac is starting to bloom here in S.E. Ks.

I have 7 hives (3 from last year and 4 that were new this spring). We harvested our honey this am and got approx. 60lbs. I only had 2 supers of drawn comb from last year and with all the rain we've had I think it was pretty good. If I had pulled the honey earlier I would have probably had 100lbs. The bees actual ate some of it between 6/29 and 7/10. I guess it was because of the rain?

After a long winter having lost seven of 16 hives this spring has been rainy...Did a couple of splits but with the rain keeping them inside so much they have eaten the stores so look forward to basswood (now) and goldenrod to save the season.

I am in central Missouri and removed the first super last week with only about 4 frames with honey. Most everyone around here has similar. Don't know why?

I have two hives (one was carried over from last year and the other started from a 5 frame nuc this spring) I am trying to change over everything to medium and Permacomb so I have not been able to get much honey yet. I am located in North Central WV and we have had a lousy spring with all the cold and rain. I checked last weekend and found I have one ross round super that is almost full. I was really surprised at that. I will try to pull it off this weekend if the weather will cooperate. I'm afraid our nectar flow is about over. Good Luck to you all.

Dave

[This message has been edited by dharbert (edited July 17, 2003).]

Cool

I should have read this posting before I posted a new topic a few minutes ago.
    I guess my bees are like honeymans. Some good, Some lazy.
    My good hive now has 3 deeps and 4 mediums full. Too heavy for me to lift from that high if they fill the 5th which I just gave them.
    With only 2 hives I would like to extract only once a season.
    Should I be taking full supers off and storing in the basement untill time to extract?
    Would I have to keep them warm but no too warm?
    SCOTT: That guy with the pumpkins next to your hives will be your friend. My main incentive for getting bees was that my son raises 40 acres of pumpkins on our farm.
    Bees are necessary to get a good yield.

------------------
    Erwin

>Too heavy for me to lift from that high if they fill the 5th which I just gave them.

I know what you mean. They get really tall when they are that productive.

>With only 2 hives I would like to extract only once a season. Should I be taking full supers off and storing in the basement untill time to extract?

It's a nice idea. The honey will keep the best on the hive. They will protect it from the ants, keep it cool enough that the comb won't melt, keep the wax moths out of it etc. If you put it in the basement you have to worry about the ants and the moths. You may have to, though, because you can't lift them any higher. You could also move one or two to the hive that's not doing much, just to keep them where the bees can protect them and you don't have to lift so high.

>Would I have to keep them warm but no too warm?

The basement should be a fine temperature.

Another novice here. Started out with two package hives this spring. They had alot of honey after the locust, blackberry bloom but we got a spell of rainy weather and they uncapped some of it. Now, they are starting to pick back up, and I might be able to take off a super apiece this weekend. I just caught a wild swarm this past weekend so I might save some for them. The thistle bloom is really under way and the basswood and sourwood are reallydoing good too. I'm fortunate to live in steep conntry, the blooming season varies by about a week as there is a couple thousand feet difference within a couple of miles of here.

It's picked up in the last week. It's been hot and humid the last couple of days and the bees are working soybeans heavily. I'm still a long way from making a decent crop, though.

Angry

Too much RAIN here 8" in the last 14 days!!
    about the time the plants start producing nector it rains again 2" yesterday.
    Ed

Please send me some of your rain,havent had a drop here in months.

Beenstung aka honey,
    I often take my supers off way before extractions time. In fact I usually don't extract till around the middle of Sept. After I take a super off, I put it in a garbage bag and put a twistie around it. I then put it in the freezer for 2-3 days. This kills the wax moth eggs. Then I take the super out of the freezer--leaving it in the garbage bag! --and allow it to thaw out. Then leave it in the garbage bag till you're ready to extract. The condensation gets on the bag instead of the super and honey. This has worked well for the the past 3 years. I just keep them stacked in the house till I'm ready to extract.
    Denise

I could use a good drought. Its the only chance of any honey crop this year. This will rank as the worst year in over 30 for bees. Wonder what its like in the Dakotas?

Smile

Youre too wet we are too dry.Whatever it takes to keep us from cashing in on the best honey prices in years.Maybe we should take a look at the crop insurance program the USDA is trying to put together for honey producers.Maybe this is our big chance to suck the govt.tit like everyone else ...

Its to the point of depressing, making me wonder if it isnt time to sell all the colonies. The best prices ever for honey that might actually make it worthwhile to keep them but cant even make a crop. Of course always made a huge crop before but couldnt even give it away. Makes one ponder if there will be any future for agriculture in the US.

I'm with Wineman,
    I one word, Rain. If I were doing this for a
    living, I would probably go broke this year.
    Duane.

Too much rain in April ruined our spring wildflower flow.Lately there just doesnt seem to be any nectar in the flowers,just enough to keep up brood raising but the supers are light.We dont have any fall flow here,so time is running out for getting a crop .But I keep hoping for something.Alfalfa was starting to bloom,but its all being cut.They dont let it bloom long if at all.I hear what you are saying about selling out.Gambling on the weather can sure be tough.Seriously this crop(income ) insurance may be worth checking into.They are asking for feedback to try to put this together for next year.My advice is try to stick with it ,Ive sold out a couple times but always come back(should probably see a shrink)

It's the way agriculture is. The reason the price is high is because no one has any. Sometimes you hit the jackpot when the weather only cooperates for you, but waiting for that is like buying a lottery ticket. It's a tax on people who are bad at math.

I just pulled 2 and 1/2 supers from one hive. It is doing really well, but others are lagging. I still have some time left though. Don't know exactly what they are working, but they stay busy.

I have 150 hives with no honey. Starting to feed them for the winter northern Utah.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast