Thread: night hiving

A couple of months ago I hived a package at night (I know, but it was the only chance I had), they were not to happy about it and I was frequently engulfed in a cloud of "BANANABANANABANANA" alarm scent. Since then, they have been well-behaved. I was wondering 1) if anyone else has hived bees at night and gotten a similar response and 2)if the alarm pheromone is evident during a daylight hiving.

Thanks!

I did a removal that went into the night. When the sun went down I began to really pay for it! They don't want to fly so you end up with lots of crawlers that find there way into your suit. Hiving packages during the day has always been plesant for me and you get a lot of nasonov fanning bees but I don't recall much if any alarm pheromone.

I have moved palletized commercial hives at night and it is not fun. The bees don't like the smoke nor the lights nor the jostling. I was going to move 8 hives tonight, but decided to move them early in the AM. I shut them up at 9:00 PM so I figure they'll be OK until 0600.
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

Bees are VERY defensive at night once they get riled. I've never gotten a defensive reaction from a hiving a package int he daytime.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF