Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Wow! What tangents!
    D.

Wow! What tangents!
    D

Aw comon Denise, don't be shy..

Did you get yer seed yet?

I'm a Kiwi,pushing into my 40's and live on the coast in the Far North of NZ.I have 3 sons at University, a 15yr old daughter at home and have been married 22yrs.

Anthea and I run 2 business's,I served as a Para in the military, I'm pro gun and love the Lord.

As far as bee's go,I have 50 or so hives and at the moment they are all on pollination duty in a local avacardo orchard.

As well as a love for bees,I also have a passion for my 1911 and a mighty fine '62 Winchester M14.

jim

Personally, if (or when) someone called me arrogant and maybe knowing something about what I write, I would consider it a compliment. Then again, I really liked Ayn Rand's books and another book called "In Defense of Elitism".

I asked for bios for the reasons stated.

As far as tangents go, it is interesting how often in life I ask question A, and questions B and C get answered instead of or in addition to A. Very frustrating, especially on the job. My wife is getting much better at this, I wonder if I am?

Bjorn Bee- I am not sure about who you are. A married grandmother with kids? I assume the second posting is more the truth. Also, wouldn't you be better preserved in a casket of mead?

Tx Urbish and others that travel: I make my own beer and would be happy to share a 6 pack. When I see this forum after work, generally I am enjoying such refreshment. Is this what lets me raise ire from some or is it the fact that my housekeeper has not returned with me pain pills?

Susan, I envy your expansion!

Thanks and continue posting.

Nursebee,
    I think we share a hostility gene. It's easy to fire off an e-mail without being aware of how it could be received. Let me give examples and what I hear.

"Arrogant people with thousands of posts..."

I guess the wisest people here, who give of their time and experience over years, are in fact merely arrogant.

"Personally, if (or when) someone called me arrogant and maybe knowing something about what I write, I would consider it a compliment. Then again, I really liked Ayn Rand's books and another book called "In Defense of Elitism"."

If we really knew you we'd realize that you are actually of the elite. (It's not really arrogance, then?)

"As far as tangents go, it is interesting how often in life I ask question A, and questions B and C get answered instead of or in addition to A. Very frustrating, especially on the job. My wife is getting much better at this, I wonder if I am?"

All that personal stuff was crap?

"Bjorn Bee- I am not sure about who you are. A married grandmother with kids? I assume the second posting is more the truth. Also, wouldn't you be better preserved in a casket of mead"

You are a liar.
    --------------------------------------------
    There's more, but you get my drift. I don't wish to start a flame war. I actually like your feisty way. I'm afraid that you may have jumped in here too willing to judge. Now I've just gone and done the same thing! ****, will I ever get over that? Read you stuff before you post please?

Dick Marron
    (who may be over sensitive)

This is the beauty of the internet. We must all thank Al Boar for inventing it! Instead of maybe 10 knowitalls in a group of 1000 people, we are now able to have as many as 500 knowitalls in the same group of 1000 useing al's internet. Conversation is a circle and if we just answered the question asked it would die . Jim your m14 1962 win is it full auto? What are your laws down there?? I have a m1 and a m1a and after you shoot them its not near as fun to shoot that old 22. I always thought that Australia could be my escape when the U.S. gets to liberal, but that is now not possible due to their gun laws. How about New Zealand?

[This message has been edited by James Urbish (edited October 26, 2003).]

I am a learning Beekeeper who started small ( 2 hives) in 1965 and now have 503 hives to learn from. Raised 2 kids thru colledge and now the oldest is helping run the business.
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

Cool

I grew up in a small town near Buffalo New York. My father was a full time farmer and we worked hard most of the time. My Grandfather was a commercial beekeeper in the southern tier of New york state.

I settled in North Carolina after getting married and and have been here 18 years. Have been married 18 years with 2 sons. About 5 years ago at the age of 32,I decided to get into beekeeping simply as an extension of my agrarian roots. My grandfather had discouraged me up until that point due to the problem of mites. He told me I should wait until a "they" got them under control. I now have 15 hives and will probably get into some 4.9mm in the upcoming year.

I was immediately hooked and consider the honeybee to be one of God's most amazing creations. I love to talk about them but try to be reserved.

I currently serve as the President of the Guilford County beekeepers here in central North Carolina.

Kurt

I'm a 52 year old tree climber in the suburbs of the city I was born in.I enjoy traveling but I always come home.I've been married for 25 years and have 2 grown daughters.I was tossed out of prep school,dropped out of college and obtained CO status for Vietnam.In the past ,I have been a member of the NRA,ACLU , the World Future Society ,a few bee and tree organizations and some I can't remember.(see first sentence).I've had long hair,short hair and am now working on no hair.

I'm a liberal conservative.....or a conservative liberal.I haven't figured it out yet.And don't care!!

I think intolerant people "suck".

I think people who see the world as black or white need to climb down out of their tower or AC'd SUVs or any other metaphor you'd care to use.

But enough of my "arrogant" ranting.

"No man is an island."I don't know who said that but I 'm sure he was talking about beekeeping.I,like M.B.,started bee keeping back in the 70's,through the influence of M.E.News,Organic Gardening,Countryside Magazine and the whole "back to the land "movement.We wanted to be self sufficient so that when the Russians blew the East Coast off the face of the Earth we could all move to Kansas and live off the land.Well thank God that never happened, because I failed.Don't get me wrong.My bees made honey.I could grow and can six cases of stewed tomatos.I still brew an excellent oatmeal stout.I failed because I tried to be an "island".Sure,I had a couple of texts.I even had had a subscription to "Bee Culture " at one time.But I knew no other beekeepers.I had no mentor.I didn't belong to any clubs.I could not compare or evaluate my successes and failures because I could not share them.And when the mites came they kicked my *****.

Then I found the internet.I renewed my subsription to Bee Culture.I found out about my state bee club on the internet and joined.I found out about EAS and joined.Bee-L,Yahoo-groups,Beesource.Other beekeepers!With the same problems.With the same mistakes.But now we had synergism.

I found the Bee Forum kind of by mistake.I was looking for plans to build bee equipment and stumbled across Barry's other web page(Thanks Barry).when I went back later,I found that the plans were now on this Bee Source site.I joined and have read most of the posts since.As you can see on the left,I don't post often.I am a very slow typist and I don't like to spend a lot of time on the computer.When I have asked a question,I have been pleased with the responses most times.When I reply,I base it on facts and try to provide references.Some on this forum accumulate facts and can repeat them for the benifit of others.Over and over again,if needed,with more patience than I.Others have tired of repeating themselves and we don't hear from them as often.And others have built thier numbers by spouting endless opinions and B.S.But thats OK too.I have a built in B.S. filter and sometimes I get a chuckle from it ,usually at their expence.

As you've probably guessed,I don't make money from my bees.I eat some,sell some,give some away.I think I was a little ahead until I bought that new radial extractor last year.I don"t make money on my chickens either.Maybe the eggs pay for the feed.But I work for free.Or I should say I work for the smile on that little boys face when he finds his first warm egg,even though the hen pecked his finger and it has a smudge of chicken poop on it.

Jack

>I grew up in a small town near Buffalo New York...
    >I settled in North Carolina after getting married and and have been here 18 years. Have been married 18 years with 2 sons.

And after 18 years in NC I bet you're still considered a Yankee. Of course your kids are too. "just because a cat has kittens in the oven doesn't make 'em biscuts"

>I'm a liberal conservative.....or a conservative liberal.I haven't figured it out yet.And don't care!!

Sounds like a Libertarian at heart.

>I found the Bee Forum kind of by mistake.I was looking for plans to build bee equipment...

Me too. I was looking for dimensions online for some piece of equipment I was planning and there it was. It still took some time before I checked out the forum, but the site kept coming up when I searched for things.

BILLY BOB Guest

I guess I could add to my bio.

I'm 31, married only once for 9 wonderfull years. No children, but 4 dogs; 1 blood hound, 1 basset, 1 beagle, and 1 I don't realy know what it is. I'm a full time firefighter, part time beekeeper. I'm the chairman of my local beekeepers assoication, and like I have read above, I found beesource by searching for plans on the internet....once again thanks Barry. I'm a Libertarian, and think the goverments job is to defend our shores deliver my mail and stay the h@#l out of my life.

------------------
    BB

The first step in house breaking a dog, is letting the dog in the house.

>So I am asking folks to tell us about what your life experience is with beekeeping. I could just leave it at that, <snip> I am also curious about how you got into bees, # of hives you have had over the years, money you have lost or made, how you market yourself (honey versus pollination), your prices, your inventions or contributions, your dreams, etc...

Having learned my lessons well in the Boy Scouts, growing up as a weekend farmer, and also being a bit of a survivalist, keeping bees on the family farm appealed to me on the eve of 1999.

Every year I doubled my number of hives until this year when I expanded unintentionaly to twenty six. My plan was to expand to fifteen and hold there. It was giving my phone number to the local extension service that got me into more work than I planned on this year.

Between swarm removals, bee colony removals from buildings, ferral removals from old buildings and storm damaged trees, and even finding a couple of abandoned hives got me to where I am today.

To date I have not made any money selling honey. My goals this year were to grow bees and learn more about managing them, establish a field of clover, and to grow my colonys strong for a good crop next year.

I don't know if I will ever make any money off honey, but the removal business is VERY good. With out it I would not have been able to buy all that Permacomb. I am sure that next year I will be more selective about how many jobs I take on, but when they pay you to take their bees, well you have to do what you have to do.

At this time I am moving away from the chemicals, I have not used any this year, and want to eventually go au-natural. It was a hard decision to go the no chemical route, but knowing that there will be a constant influx of free bees to suppliment my losses, I can now consentrate on selective breeding and accomplish my goals.

------------------
    Bullseye Bill
    Smack dab in the middle of the country.

Cool

Michael:
    I have to admit, that was a good one I had never heard before!
    Yes I am still considered a yankee, but do my best to cover it up!
    Wouldnt go back to NY unless I had to. Just love the weather here in North Carolina; Hurricanes and all!

Hey all,

It's nice to read how many different yet similiar backgrounds evreyone has.

I don't know where to begin. I'm a homeschooling Mom of 3. Moved from Lancaster, PA (grew up in almost upstate NY)a couple years ago to NC. Had to leave my bees. I'd only had them a couple years. I became interested in bees through reading....don't remember where anymore because I've read tons since I got hooked. Found a course at Penn State that I could take at home which was very informative. I am just fascinated by those little critters. I've decided to begin again this spring and am thinking of trying an alternate to the traditional hive. Possibly a long hive, maybe even a top bar hive. Partly because of the lifting, mainly because it'll be more hands-on. I think my kids would enjoy building it and it would be easier for them to observe and work with. The TBH also sounds interesting because we would be able to see how the bees construct comb naturally. Eventually involving the kids in the sale of the surplus honey. The possibilities for teaching are endless. Science, math, history, civics, etc. Not to mention patience and responsibility. OK I'm starting to ramble. Anyway, thanks guys for such a great resource!

PS: <And after 18 years in NC I bet you're still considered a Yankee. Of course your kids are too. "just because a cat has kittens in the oven doesn't make 'em biscuts"> Thanks Micheal! I wrote it down, I'm saving that one. You must've lived here at some point. I love it here.

Carol,
    Beulaville, NC (yes Beula-ville LOL)
    Southern Fried Yankee

My Dad and all his family were Okies. I grew up in Illinois and Nebraska and when I moved to Oklahoma I was considered a Yankee and so were my two kids who were born there. All my life I NEVER considered myself a Yankee. I rooted for the Confederates all my life.

I notice in the news that President Bush has run into disidents overseas with "Yankee Go Home" posters. Someone should explain to them that a Texan is NOT a Yankee. When I lived in the south I don't think I every heard the word "Yankee" without the prefix "*** *" I thought it was one, three syllable word.

Carol,

If you'd like info on TBH there is a thread under the equipment forum.
    http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000012.html

If you'd like info on long hives, I've been playing with them off and on for a long time.
    http://www.beesource.com/eob/althive/bush/index.htm

Click on the pictures for more detail and explanations.

Wow.....

I am awe'd.

Its amazing what you find when you look beyond the computer screen....

I honistly havent read every post word for word, havn't had the time, but I will.

Makes me feel small.....

What was it "The problems of two small people dont add up to a hill of beans in this crazy world" or something like that.

Lots of true talant here, and not just with the bees.

I thought we all was just a bunch hillbillies that liked bees.

What was question "A" again... I forgot.

tom

This is my second Yr -- one hive last year and started two this year but combined them a month ago. Large harvest last year -- very small this year. Learning a great deal from reading posts; thanks.

------------------

Smile

alright,here it is,i'm 37,grew up in cincinnati,became a hoosier about 18yrs ago.live out in the sticks with a big white dog,little shack,outhouse,well and woodstove.i've come to appreciate my backward ways more and more in this fast paced b.s world.i'm a psychiatric nurse.i've traveled alot in my time,all through asia,australia,n.z.,a few other places.my travels have definitely influenced my views,and certainly has made me appreciate how lucky(and rich) we all are compared to the rest of the world.which brings me to my leftist slant,how can people profess to be good christians but are against helping others(whether here or abroad).currently i've got about 15 hives,i use no chemicals.

And I thought filling out those profiles for computer dating were hard!!!
    I'm a single mom of two small daughters whom I homeschool every other week when I have joint custody of them. When I'm not homeschooling I work part time as an RN in surgery at a small surgery center in Louisville. The people I work with are considered my family since my real family is spread out from TX, SC, and CT.
    Other than beekeeping I like to play tennis, hike, bike , garden and camp. Or rather I would like to.I was raised Southern Baptist, but don't claim that anymore and have found peace of mind by embracing the beliefs of Native American Spirituality. I have not denounced my Christianity, but have expanded my horizons by realizing there is more to life than religion. I will not give you my opinion of religion since I don't like to offend people.
    I can't talk intelligently about politics so I stay out of it, but will listen and observe.
    As for bees.....I've had as many as 18 hives and made some money that year. I now have 7 hives but after keeping bees for 7 years have decided I want to keep it fun so I will be decreasing to 4 hives. I love mentoring people about bees, and usually do it on-line. You truly meet some fascinating people from all walks of life in beekeepers and that may be part of what keeps me in the "business." I like being part of an "elite" group--elite meaning to me part of something not many people do or know about. I'll refer to myself as eccentric, have been called quirky but I accept that as a compliment.
    Hmmm, did I leave anything out? If I did I know you all will tell me!
    Denise

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast