I really enjoyed the article about using a long pole with the spring clamp on the end and a frame of drawn comb to retrive a swarm that is high up in a tree and out of reach. I guess that I am like most BeeKeepers that like to improvise to get the job done. Any one tried this method to capture a swarm from a high location????? Looks to me that it might work. Dale

You can toss a thin rope with a rock tied to the end of it up over the limb that the swarm is on(dont let the rock hit you on the head)Lower the rock down,tie a frame of unsealed brood to the end and raise it back up to the swarm.Soon the swarm will cluster on the frame.This will work if you have a straight shot to lower them back down without dislodging them .Of course this is for swarms from your own hives so brood is always handy.(not that I ever need to do this since MY bees never swarm because of the perfect management they receive)!

Sad

Thanks Ross, and Mike,
    Where was your post last week???? Saturday, I got a call about a swarm that a man needed removed. It was 20 feet plus up in a strong sweetgum. I had my doubts but he was desparate (aren't they all)... The tree was a breeze to climb, but I couldn't shake the bees loose (they were 10 feet out on a sturdy branch). Finally, I sprayed them loose with the water hose and was able to pick them up once they had clustered on the ground.... after working up a sweat from climbing up and down that tree, soaking myself with the hose, nearly falling out of a slippery wet tree, striking my funny-bone with the hammer that I used to lob the rope over the branch.... Sure could have used your trick with that one. But I'll keep it in mind for the next one.

One other thing,If you are in a place where you dont have any brood,you can just grab both ends of the rope and tug.The bees will drop to the ground and hopefully they will go into the hive you have sitting there.I have caught lots of them doing just this but sometimes they will just keep flying back up to the limb and never will go in.I think a swarm that has been there awhile is a bit more desperate for the first thing that looks like a good home,especially if there is a comb of honey in it.

Has anyone tried to suspend a nuc for swarm retrival ?

On another note , there is a commercial beekeeping service that does an orchard here with 40 hives they drop off . Would it be unethical to place swarm boxes around there ?

Drifter

No it would not be unethical to put swarm boxes out.

Swarm queens are old. I do not want them. If I capture swarms it is for $$$. If it is near me I get them for free so that I do not have problems with lawyerly types "allergic" to bees.

The clamp on a pole idea was great and could save lots of injuries.

>On another note , there is a commercial beekeeping service that does an orchard here with 40 hives they drop off . Would it be unethical to place swarm boxes around there ?

If he wants to catch them before they fly that up to him. The boxes won't make them want to swarm, just offers them a place to go if they do

So as long as you have permission from someone to put them wherever I don't see anything unethical.

Thanks for the prompt replys . This particular deal the company is about 5 hours away from the spot they rent the hives to . Last year they had a huge swarm that took off and believe settled along the river . Being new to this I don't want to get started on the wrong foot .

Drifter

Commercial yards often have swarms hanging in the trees.It wouldnt be ethical to catch them in the yard,but after they leave who cares.I just wouldnt put the boxes within sight of the yard to avoid potential problems.Most commercial guys dont bother with swarms anyways.I will try to get the ones in the yards if they arent too high but if they fly off oh well.The scout bees will check out every promising new site within a mile so somewhere in that range should get you some swarms.