Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Quoted $80 per package for 4-2006 Delivery??

8K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  dp 
#1 ·
Ordering some packages for next year. I am being quoted $80 per package w/ queen. I almost fell out of the chair. What prices are you hearing?

Scott

#2 ·
Sounds a bit high to me but it seems bees are getting harder to get or get them when you need to.I am paying $65 and think that is a bit high sometimes.2 years ago i went to a cheaper guy but had no luck with his bees.What kind of bees are $80.Mine will be Russians.

#3 ·
Wow. We've already seen a price runup in pollination contracts. Now packages are up. Live bees are probably as free-market as one can get these days, with no monopoly, centralized clearing, or uniform trading structure. It will be interesting to watch this develop throughout the spring.
Wasn't so long ago that $80 would have bought a complete 1 or 2-deep established hive on this board.

p.s.
Which reminds me...
If I were as clever as many of the folks on this board I'd develop a site that provided a simple listing of current prices for different companies bees and supplies. It would be nice to be able to compare 10 prices on the same thing without using the sticky-note-on-the-catalog-page method.

[ November 11, 2005, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: coyote ]

#4 ·
Coyote,

That sounds good!. Why don,t we have people post for how much and from whom they are getting the price from. Then we can gather these all into one posting for easy lookup.

Just a thought.

Kieran

#5 ·
Coyote

perhaps something along these lines

http://www.drobbins.net/bee's/packages.php

this is the 30 minute version
don't put real data in it
bang on it and comment
it let's you enter freeform text for a state, and then search by state
I'll probably flush all the data occationally as I continue to refine it
it's very crude at the moment but I thought I'd throw it out there and see what ideas come back

Dave

#11 ·
If things go right hope to have approx 100 single hives for sale with bottom, top, inner cover, 10 frames including 5 frames or more of bees and brood with 2006 queens for $100.00 each or $90.00 10 or more in used but sound equipment. Pick up in central Florida mid April or mid late April in central Kentucky. Also 4-5 frame nucs with brood honey and 2006 queen. $75.00 ea. book now and slect your queen type.. Russian, Italian(cordivian) carnolian. 25% down balance on pickup.

#12 ·
Eery place I have called to check out pricing and availabilty couldnt quote a price for 2006 until the beginning of next year.

C F Koehnen & Sons, Inc told me
Pricing for shipment of two 3# Italian packages by UPS next day air from
2005 was: $151.58. This price includes 2 new cages, bees, 2 fresh
marked queens, and shipping.
If I were to pick them up it would eliminate a $40-$50 shipping charge.

They said there will be an increase in price but they won't know until about January.

Very nice people though.
All other places said to call back in January for 2006 prices.

I havent called Allens Bee Ranch yet. I did send him an email but it was returned as the email no longer existed.

#13 ·
Dang guys, seems like I want buy packages this year with those prices, I get a better deal a little later, they pay me $250.00 for a hive of bee's, I just need to supply the the wood and empty frames ;) , im going to do walk-away splits this coming spring and collect swarms and removals. thats high price's for packages!!!!!

[ November 12, 2005, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: TwT ]

#17 ·
I bought 3 - 2 1/2 pound packages last year for $43.00 each, I cant see 80 or more but they will go like the gas companies, if they are charging this then so will I, I know the cost will be more but not that **** much, its crazy if it is, just my thought's.

[ November 12, 2005, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: TwT ]

#19 ·
I paid $60 this past spring ('05) for 4 frame deep Russian nucs. By late summer, I had 2 surviving hives, which meant $300 per colony. I'm gonna be doing my own increases from now on.

it's very crude at the moment but I thought I'd throw it out there and see what ideas come back
Looks like a good start to me. Since packages can be shipped I don't know that they need to be categorized by state. I'm kind of "page challenged" so I like to see everything on a single page that I can scroll up and down.

#22 ·
I bought a 3# package of American Allstars from
Weaver last April ($57 picked up), the bees were
gentle and made a decent crop this year.
I emailed them about this coming spring and this was their reply...

David:
I'll be ready about December 1 to start booking for next spring.
Place your order online about then.
Thanks very much for contacting us.

Risa Davis
The R Weaver Apiaries, Inc.
16495 C.R. 319
Navasota, TX 77868
PH: 936/825-2333
www.rweaver.com

#25 ·
"this is the 30 minute version
don't put real data in it
bang on it and comment
it let's you enter freeform text for a state, and then search by state
I'll probably flush all the data occationally as I continue to refine it
it's very crude at the moment but I thought I'd throw it out there and see what ideas come back"

Dave,
I like the page too!
Maybe this thread could
go on it's own.
I'll see what info I
can gather here in Texas.
Please post when it's OK
to start submitting info
to the final page update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.